New shed before Nov 26th

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
just finalized buying the house after being on a land contract for three years. Worked a couple thousand into the deal to build a 12x20 storage shed as seen here:

http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com...Id=7&lineId=88&productTypeId=44&productId=433

that overhang starts at about 64" high according to the pictures listed in the directions. Would it be worth the time to make that overhang stick out to about 4 feet and throw some firewood under there?

Maybe I am just asking for pests by doing that. I dunno. if not for firewood this will probably be too low to do much else with.

anybody have suggestions, comments, or personal experience with stuff like this.

Danno77 said:
anybody have suggestions, comments, or personal experience with stuff like this.

I think you should build one on my property first to make sure you work out all the kinks before you build one for yourself. If you are a detailed oriented person this should make total sense.

I'll pencil you in for Friday, sound good? Ok, see you then.

Next time I'm in Pennsylvania I'll be sure help you build one. Sound fair?

That gambrel roof is basically a scaled-down barn design. Its not uncommon to see extended roofs off of old barns. As for pests, if you're not storing food in there, or can seal it up, or spray for insect critters you should be fine.

Danno77 said:
Next time I'm in Pennsylvania I'll be sure help you build one. Sound fair?
oes

Certainly seems like you could do that side wing but it will be very low to get wood in and out of and with all the getting out of wood seems like you might need a helmet.If you can do it at the higher angle in the roof and make it look good it would be more functional Another option if the space allows wold be to buy several more extra ez frame units and add them to the back doing the roof like normal and doing the sides with lattice or some other open airflow design. I would not think critters will be any worse with the addition than without .

Does that building offer extend to my neck of the woods ?

I like that idea of adding the EZ frame to an end, but one end will have the bigger barn doors, and the other end will have a door and two windows. Still, not a bad idea, though. and now that you mention it, you can buy any qty of those EZ trusses and frames, maybe it would be fun to build a floorless 4-5 foot deep one that matches the "barn" I bet that'd be pretty cheap to do. I'd need like 4 or five trusses and the siding and roofing.

I think I remember a 12x12 being something like 900 dollars per materials list, but since this would be about 1/2 that size it would be 450, then you take off the floor and you've knocked another 100 off of it, take the doors off, there's another 30 bucks, maybe even go with no siding and save a bunch more. I'm inclined to let the wood dry outside and then move it in right before winter if I go that route.

12wx 4d x 6h = 288cubic feet --- that's more than a cord of wood. If I got a little crazy with height I bet I could get 3 cords in there.

I just need to be careful, I'm building this 12x20 and I have a 9x12 more than half done, pretty soon I'll have more outshed space than I know what to do with. When you get to that point you find you are just hoarding crap.... It's more stuff to trim around with during mowing season.

Extension sounds like a great idea. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.