New Splitter troubles, any ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reaperman

Nov 1, 2006
Central Minn
After my incident on Sunday with my new Northern Tool splitter, which was replaced with another new one, I hit another snag. On Sunday evening after I got the new splitter home I split one round to test it out. Monday I worked too late and never looked at it. Tonite after work I was dying to use it. Although dark, I grabbed a chunk of wood to split for fun inside of my shed. The control lever didnt seem to work properly. It wouldn't return automatically, the ram would stop just as soon as I let go of the lever. I'd have to hold it until the ram was fully retracted. I first thought the oil may be cold, despite being 50 degrees. So I let the engine run full throttle for about 5 minutes and repeated the process with the same results. It was then when I noticed some kind of greyish oil coming from towards the rear of the control valve, where 2 seperate pieces are joined together by 2 allen bolts. I tried to tighten the bolts, which were a bit loose, but this made no difference. More oil would come from this joint when more pressure was used to retract the ram.

I called Northern Tool, because I knew the store would close in 10 minutes. I talked to some guy who was familiar with the first splitter I returned on Sunday, due to paper in the hydro tank. I told him the trouble and said I would possible be returning the splitter for yet another new one. My three day return would expire today being I bought it on Sunday. So I needed for him to verify I made contact within 3 days. I told him I wasnt interested in returning the splitter but I wanted one that is without defect. He mentioned they could fix the valve. I told him I would settle for nothing but a new valve or new splitter. And I wasnt going to drop it off and drive back home, wait a few days for the repair, than drive back and forth again. Its almost a 60 mile round trip. But anyway I took a picture of the valve. Maybe one of you can tell me what you think the trouble is. You will notice the grey oil towards the right side of the control valve.

Attachments

• 100_0467-1.JPG
    100_0467-1.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 861
I wonder if there's a bad batch of these valves.
My splitter did that too.
It kinda also spit some oil out the end.
They sent me a new valve which I haven't installed yet.
I was able to get it to work better by rotating the cylindrical shaped piece that is attached to the handle.

What you are describing is in effect a pressure relief not a defective detent valve. If for some reason you finish the split but continue to hold it for maximum Ihydraulic pressure that pressure builds up and reaches a point where it blows off.. t happened twice on my splitter when my son helped me he did not know enough to release the valve after it finishes its cycle All I did ws to remove the larger nut check the o ring position and screw it back in the situation is corrected.. It will happen again and again till you learn not to keep holding the valve forward when it is done
even if you get a new one and hold it too long it will happen again Before you bring it back fire it up and move the valve and piston back and forth is it still leaking? If not then resume splitting

Your correct velvetfoot, the detent isn't working properly. As soon as I let go to the lever the ram stops moving backwards. I did call Northern again today and they said they have a new splitter waiting for me to exchange for this one. Lets hope the third splitter functions properly. I'd like to split some wood this weekend.

It doesn't make much difference because you are getting a new splitter, but for future reference, I think the detent pressure is adjustable, as well as the max pressure (it can be set up to the highest pressure produced by your pump). Your valve obviously has other problems, but if it was just the detent, that might be able to be adjusted.

Earlier you mentioned "auto return" - this may be a feature included with your valve, but my standard "Prince" valve just kicks into neutral at the end of the stroke (or if the detent pressure is reached while splitting a log, and I'm not physically holding the handle in position) I don't know of any right off hand the totally reverse direction - that might be a little dangerous if it did it unexpectedly.

Corey

My Northern Tool dealer has a mechanic on duty, pick his brain about adjustments etc. When I bought mine from NT I told them I would pick it up in a week to take to my cabin. I told them to get it filled with hydraulic fluid and oil because I want to make sure it works. My cabin is 180 miles from them so I don't want any surprises. Mine has an automatic return and also pops into neutral, while I grab another piece of wood. Take some wood with you and try out the new one and make sure it's OK before you leave.

When I picked the splitter up sure enough they never tested it, no gas, no oil, no hydraulic fluid. So I told them get it running or I am not paying for it. So they did, by the way that hydraulic tank holds more than I thought. I am very pleased with it and only had one problem that I welded, not really a big deal.

I felt the same about the tank capacity on mine.
Maybe it's the ram and lines and pump's volumes.

Back when I bought my splitter the kid in the back of Lowe's didn't want to go to the trouble of getting the forklift and pulling the heavy box down off the racks. He just took one of the assembled ones and hooked it to my trailer hitch. Assembled and FULL of hydraulic fluid.

His boss was pissed about that. When I noticed I didn't have a manual with it I went back to get it. The dept. manager said "So you're the one." to which I replied "Yes, the one with no manual. Go get it.".

You're right, they hold a lot of fluid. Expensive fluid. And the tank on mine is twice the size of the newer ones I see at the stores.

BrotherBart said:
Back when I bought my splitter the kid in the back of Lowe's didn't want to go to the trouble of getting the forklift and pulling the heavy box down off the racks. He just took one of the assembled ones and hooked it to my trailer hitch. Assembled and FULL of hydraulic fluid.

His boss was pissed about that. When I noticed I didn't have a manual with it I went back to get it. The dept. manager said "So you're the one." to which I replied "Yes, the one with no manual. Go get it.".

You're right, they hold a lot of fluid. Expensive fluid. And the tank on mine is twice the size of the newer ones I see at the stores.
And they are cheaper made to, from what i have seen the last time i was at the store. :mad:

The Huskee includes hydraulic fluid and engine oil, a pretty good deal. Mine was a one day demo that had split about 10 pieces of wood. I felt good about seeing it work, no leaks etc. and got 10% off.

I picked up my newest splitter on Friday. I had them fill it with fluid, before-hand because the one I was returning was also full of fluid, 8 gals. I timed the cycle before taking it back, it was 21 seconds. It is rated as a 13 second cycle-time. The trouble was the control lever wouldn't go back all of the way, it would only go about 1/2 way. Which makes me wonder if there was another wad of paper inside of the hydro tank like on my first splitter. Which could have made its way into the system and jammed something up. When I innitially fired up this splitter it returned properly, but was only run for a few minutes. The second time I was using it, is when the problem started. Something was keeping the lever from going all the way back.

The new splitter works great. I ran a tank of gas thru it the other day without any troubles. It split everything!! I like the fact that the machine sits up higher than the rental splitter I have been using. I dont have to constantly lean over to run the control. I got NT to throw in a set of 4-way wings for my troubles. I bolted them on, but company came over right when I was going to try them out.

Rich M said:
The Huskee includes hydraulic fluid and engine oil, a pretty good deal. Mine was a one day demo that had split about 10 pieces of wood. I felt good about seeing it work, no leaks etc. and got 10% off.

How do you like your huskee 22 ton . does it split 24 inch diameter logs x 24 long?
Or do the ram just stop & not split the wood?
I ask because I have a 4 ton 2hp electric limb splitter which does that (ram stops dead, up against log,no split wood and motor just hums)8 out of 10 logs. That is why i refer to it as a limb splitter. It usually splits stuff up to 5 in dia.without knots or forks in the wood.

And therefore,
because i am about to go to tractorsupply.com and buy a huskee22ton

how much does it weigh.
should I tow it home or roll it up on to my 4ftx 8ft utility trailer, its a 30 to 40 mile ride each way.
It is a 2 in ball hitch on the huskee?

does it have log craddles for horz mode?
Do you hit many logs that it wont split.
Ease of opperation. easy to start?
quality, well made, ease of repair, frequency of repair.
worth the money,999.99 & tax=1060.oo

I guess I ask you to rate the splitter on a scale of 1 to 5, because tractorsupply did not bother too.

do you know the manufacturer's name & web site & would you post it here so that I can get more info on huskee 22 ton before i buy.

thank you very much, in advance, it is the best to talk to an owner before you buy the same.

eernest4 said:
How do you like your huskee 22 ton . does it split 24 inch diameter logs x 24 long?
Or do the ram just stop & not split the wood?
I ask because I have a 4 ton 2hp electric limb splitter which does that 8 out of 10 logs and
because i am about to go to tractorsupply.com and buy a huskee22ton

how much does it weigh.
should I tow it home or roll it up on to my 4ftx 8ft utility trailer, its a 30 to 40 mile ride each way.
It is a 2 in ball hitch on the huskee?

does it have log craddles for horz mode?
Do you hit many logs that it wont split.
Ease of opperation. easy to start?
quality, well made, ease of repair, frequency of repair.
worth the money,999.99 & tax=1060.oo

I guess I ask you to rate the splitter on a scale of 1 to 5, because tractorsupply did not bother too.

do you know the manufacturer's name & web site & would you post it here so that I can get more info on huskee 22 ton before i buy.

thank you very much, in advance, it is the best to talk to an owner before you buy the same.

I cut my wood shorter than 24" but I'm sure it would plow right through it. I've done 24" + diameter oak and maple stumps and crotches and it doesn't ever get jammed or stall.

It's about 500lbs and yes, put it on a trailer if you can, you don't want to tow it high speed/long distance. It does have a 2" coupler.

The I-beam channels that the wedge rides in is the log cradle. It will hold large rounds no problem but it won't catch the splits like a real log cradle, oh well. I do 90% of my splitting horizontal and it works fine for me. It always starts on 1 pull and I've never had any problems at all. They are made for TSC by Speeco http://www.speeco.com/.

Status
Not open for further replies.