new Stihl ms250 won't shut off ( FIXED )

adrpga498 Posted By adrpga498, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrpga498

adrpga498
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thats right. Started without a problem ,2pulls but I couldn't switch it off. So....I had to the pull spark plug wire to cut engine. Ok ,your all correct and saying I should've had the dealer give me a demo before I left last week but Thats my fault and hind sight is always 20-20. Any way, going to the dealer tomorrow. I didn't want to fool around with the switch lever. Any Ideas ? Thanks in advance. I was all set to cut some log lenghts today. Oh well. I'll just have to read the forum for the afternoon. Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Inwo

Inwo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Western NY
  3. adrpga498

adrpga498
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    I tried that more then a few times. Hence thats why I wrote the post. I do have the manual . Thanks for sending the pdf version.
    Maybe I'll try again later. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Inwo

Inwo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Western NY
    Does the lever go all the way up? I've never heard of that before. I think it might be time for a trip back to the dealer.

5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 9, 2008
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Lame excuse. Just keep working until it runs out of gas.

6. adrpga498

adrpga498
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    I was thinking about running it dry ,but I'd rather take it back to the dealer tomorrow and let them figure it out. Think I'll build a new sawback with the 2 pallet model shown on here a few weeks ago. Its such a nice day here I gotta get outside. I have 1/3 rd. cord splits that are too long so I'll be ready to mass cut later in the week. Thanks again for the info guys.

7. adrpga498

adrpga498
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Yes , lever goes all the way up. And I agree, going to the dealer tomorrow, being that the saw has maximum 5 minutes use. Thanks

8. kenny chaos

kenny chaos
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 10, 2008
    Loc:
    Rochester,ny
    It sounds like it jumped out of position on the wire thingey inside.
    Mine did it a few times at first and I couldn't shut it off. I needed the dealer to show me how to hook it back up right.
    Doesn't do it anymore.
    I can't imagine what a new owner might do to cause it but they (we) do.
    Enjoy your new saw.

9. adrpga498

adrpga498
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Thank you, I will.

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Foothills of The Adirondacks
    There is a tension adjustment on the master control lever that they might need to look at, they adjusted mine before.

Zap

11. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    One last thought - if this happens again you could always through it back on full choke to kill it. I've never tried it with my saw but I'd guess full choke on a warm saw would likely provide the desired result?

Or like a poster above said - cut more wood! ha

12. adrpga498

adrpga498
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    New Jersey

That was the problem. Jumped off the "ground" wire thingy. 20 secound fix. He showed me what it "should" look like for future reference. Thank you all for the info.

13. Flatbedford

Flatbedford
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 17, 2009
    Loc:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Had the same thing happen on my 029. Out of warranty. Figured it out in a few minutes once I had it apart. The switch wasn't working right on my used MS 180 when I bought it either. Seems to be a Stihl week spot. At least its an easy fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.