New Stove Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

alaskanbullworm

Jul 25, 2022
Alaska
I hope the forum is not too inundated with these threads, but I appreciate any feedback.

I live in southcentral Alaska. Winters aren't too crazy here despite what people say, average is low tens but -20 to -30 is not unheard of. This past winter we had a 72 hour power outage, which convinced my wife to finally let me buy a stove. The house is well insulated (lost 20~ degrees in 72 hours, currently run a hydronic system) We would like to use the stove as the primary heat source in the winter.

The stove will be located in our living room, which is attached to an open kitchen. It has a high roof, about 18 feet. The total room is about 1000sqft, with an open 800 sqft loft above. Was originally in love with the VC Defiant, but after trolling around here for a few hours and speaking with the dealer I am under the impression it is not reliable. If it is going to be in my living room for 30 years, I'd like it to be a bit of a looker aswell.

Currently looking at the following: (In no order)
1. Jotul F500 V3, I am hesitant as it is always burning using the cat, and I heard it is picky with its wood. (We only have softwood, birch and spruce, readily available in this state.)
2. Hearthstone Heritage, biggest concern is my wife wants to be able to "cook" on it if needed. I do not know if that is wise on soapstone. I have not found much reviews on recent models and the hearthstone dealer I talked to was a salesman, knew very little about stoves (trying a different dealer later this week)
3. Kuma/Blaze King/ etc. These are always recommended to me and a great price, but they are a bit plain looking for my tastes. I don't mind spending a little extra for looks, but don't want to compromise with heat.
4. People seem crazy about Woodstock here, I called to see what shipping would be to AK, but I am assuming its going to be astronomical.

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Hearthstone 99
If you would like the stove to be your primary heat source for this winter I hope you already have your wood split and stacked. If you don't, you will be disappointed in any stove you get.

Did you look at the BK Ashford? Pacific energy is another brand to check out.

I am partial to the Vermont Castings but that is all I have ever owned. I like the classic look, made in VT, and they are better manufactured now (went through a lull in quality) than what you may have been reading about a few years ago. I have a 1975 Defiant that I am retiring and I just bought a new Encore. You can cook on them, they are flexburn and can operate without the cat. I like the top load and removing ash while still running hot. But I second what @kborndale said above you need seasoned wood so make sure you have access to that prior to because if you plan on the stove for primary heat source this winter you are going to have a bad time...

Check out the Jotul F45 or F55. They should be much cheaper than the F500, Blaze King, Woodstock or Kuma. They have a nice cooking surface, non cat with long burn times, easy operation and has the benefit of a steel firebox with cast iron shroud that takes away that plain Steel stove look. The PE Aldera line is a similar stove with a nice swing out trivit. Both stoves have very good reviews here.

Reactions: Hearthstone 99
Depends on what you can buy but start with the Jotul F45, Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 or T6 in non-cats, and the Blaze King Ashford 30 in catalytic. For cooking convenience, the Alderlea is the best with the swing away trivet top.

I would stay away from the bk of you want to be able to cook on it.

I am a newbie and haven't even experienced a 1st year's winter with wood heat but check out the Lopi non-cat stoves. They have essentially zero negative reviews that I found in my research. We purchased a Liberty for our 2700 square foot house. It has two surfaces you could potentially use for cooking. One for keeping things warm and one for actually cooking on.

293620349_1261452481259341_8221465307353529781_n.jpg

Reactions: begreen
I would stay away from the bk of you want to be able to cook on it.
Remember the top is removable with only leather gloves. And in Texas, they boiled water and cooked on the steel top, under the cast iron top.

Reactions: EbS-P
20 degree loss in 72 hours? That is fabulous, even in Mat-Su by my reckoning. What were your outdoor ambients running for that 72 hour window?

I have a BK Ashford 30. It is widely recognized as the 'prettiest' BK stove by those who overlook function for form. I think the prettiest one is the King, but I am willing to overlook form for function. If I needed to cook on my A30 I would lift off the cast iron top plate at something less than 25#, and cook directly on the now exposed steel firebox. I would expect the hot spot to be directly over the catalytic combustor.

Given your envelope efficiency, 20 degrees lost in 72 hours, something like the A30 in the 3 cubic foot ish range for firebox should be more than adequate for your 1800 sqft of floor.

Tell your insurance agent the wood stove is for supplemental heat. They are more concerned about pipes freezing if you get home from work late than they are concerned about how many cords you burn to supplement your primary heating system.

My primary (oil) heat thermostat is set to +55 dF and I supplement the dog out of it with wood, but no frozen pipes here.

I used to run an EPA certified non-catalytic stove, but no intention of going back now that I have a cat. My $ savings by burning less wood more than covers replacing the combustor every 2-3 years, and I get more even stove output every minute of every day. Plus less pain and less motrin because I am moving less cordwood around, win win.

Reactions: Highbeam
I would have guestimated the A30 stovetop to be closer to 40#. When I lifted one off, my first thought was that my wife would not do this. My second thought was where the heck do you put the big stove lid down without it being in the way, especially if it is hot? The Alderlea swing-out trivet top is the best solution for cooking on any stove we've owned. It affords a near infinite temperature range for everything from dough raising, to slow cooking, to boiling water.

I am a newbie and haven't even experienced a 1st year's winter with wood heat but check out the Lopi non-cat stoves. They have essentially zero negative reviews that I found in my research. We purchased a Liberty for our 2700 square foot house. It has two surfaces you could potentially use for cooking. One for keeping things warm and one for actually cooking on.

View attachment 297366
The carpet that close to the stove makes me a little nervous. You said you haven't experienced a winter since purchasing the stove? Be careful and watch your ash and debris

I would have guestimated the A30 stovetop to be closer to 40#. When I lifted one off, my first thought was that my wife would not do this. My second thought was where the heck do you put the big stove lid down without it being in the way, especially if it is hot? The Alderlea swing-out trivet top is the best solution for cooking on any stove we've owned. It affords a near infinite temperature range for everything from dough raising, to slow cooking, to boiling water.
I was suggesting that in emergencies, it can be done. 40lbs might be heavy to some, again in an emergency, it wouldn't stop us. Our King sits on a hearth (non combustible) where we could set it.

My understanding from hearth retailers is 99% of folks never "cook" on their woodstoves. There are many that wonder "can you cook" is after so many horrible events have left people without any way to boil water, heat up food or cook a steak.

One freestanding model we make that is not suitable to "cooking" is the Chinook. That would require significant work.

Reactions: Highbeam
The whole need to cook on it should be an extremely low priority. If you are rural enough to burn wood then you should have several other superior cooking options available. Think bbq, camp stove, RV, kitchen appliances, etc. Not to say that it couldn’t be a fun hobby.

I don’t think I’ve ever cooked anything except heating water for tea on my stoves.

When we explored opportunities in New Zealand, I visited dozens of retailers on both north an south islands.

EVERY SINGLE ONE asked the same question..."does it come with a #@!%&*$?

I can't repeat the terminology because in our country, it derogatory towards one culture.

Essentially, they wanted to know if they came with a water tank on the back of the stove! I then asked EVERY SINGLE ONE of them how many folks actually purchased such an option. They all said less than 2% because those that really want that feature purchase a wood cook stove.

We sell plenty of stoves in NZ and not having a water tank option hasn't hurt sales.

View attachment 297366
Book the carpet cleaning now. You’re going to be moving lots of wood into that stove. The carpet will not stay clean. Might want to warn the wife now.

Yes, I was wondering where the wood, kindling, and stove tools would be stored too.

Given your envelope efficiency, 20 degrees lost in 72 hours, something like the A30 in the 3 cubic foot ish range for firebox should be more than adequate for your 1800 sqft of floor.

Tell your insurance agent the wood stove is for supplemental heat. They are more concerned about pipes freezing if you get home from work late than they are concerned about how many cords you burn to supplement your primary heating system.

My primary (oil) heat thermostat is set to +55 dF and I supplement the dog out of it with wood, but no frozen pipes here.

I used to run an EPA certified non-catalytic stove, but no intention of going back now that I have a cat. My $ savings by burning less wood more than covers replacing the combustor every 2-3 years, and I get more even stove output every minute of every day. Plus less pain and less motrin because I am moving less cordwood around, win win.
Interesting...and puts a Check on the pro side when deciding between Hearthstone Green Mountain 60 and Alderlea T5 (but I really want to be able to cook on it and the PE Alderlea has a much larger cooking surface).