New stove install questions about capped crock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dilly Dave Dilly

Dec 6, 2018
I bought a house recently and the wood stove hookup has been capped with a concrete like compound, may just mortar. I need to remove it so i can hook my wood stove up. The concrete cap substance isn't terribly think and was told it's just a cap to keep air out, but I've never seen this technique.

What's the best way to remove this material and hook-up my wood stove? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I bought a house recently and the wood stove hookup has been capped with a concrete like compound, may just mortar. I need to remove it so i can hook my wood stove up. The concrete cap substance isn't terribly think and was told it's just a cap to keep air out, but I've never seen this technique.

What's the best way to remove this material and hook-up my wood stove? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
We will need allot more info and some pics to give you safe useful information.

If it truly is just mortar, you could chip it out and then have the chimney inspected by a pro. I’ve got a sneaky suspicion that it was covered over before the home sale so an inspector wouldn’t call out the failed flue.