New stove location!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
I’m going to be removing my Pacific energy summit from the basement to my dinner, so it can provide more heat thru my house, room, with a stainless steel chimney, but I don’t know how good they’re. these are somethings I want to do, btw, my house is 3,000 square feet.

1. I can put in a Timberline wood burning stove singe door in my basement. So I don’t have to worry bout freezing pipes.

2. I can just leave the summit Le in the basement and just get another pacific energy “The vista”

I will love your input ! Thank you !

IMG_3519.png IMG_3520.png IMG_3521.png

Last edited:
Sounds like it may be a good plan to move the Summit upstairs if the basement doesn't have any year round common areas like a family room. In that case, the Timberline can be used on extra cold days when it gets below 20º. It's a pain in the butt to have to run 2 stoves constantly. Does the basement have an outside entrance for bringing in wood?

What is the 1st floor plan like? Is it open or more colonial style with separate rooms and a large central staircase? If you can post a sketch of the floorplan indicating the proposed stove location, that would help.

Reactions: Itslay90
Sounds like it may be a good plan to move the Summit upstairs if the basement doesn't have any year round common areas like a family room. In that case, the Timberline can be used on extra cold days when it gets below 20º. It's a pain in the butt to have to run 2 stoves constantly. Does the basement have an outside entrance for bringing in wood?

What is the 1st floor plan like? Is it open or more colonial style with separate rooms and a large central staircase? If you can post a sketch of the floorplan indicating the proposed stove location, that would help.
Yes. I have an outside entrance, they just sent me the estimate on how much it will be. I’m shocked. $8,552.69“ it would have. Been in the dinner room, but there’s a wall on the left side in the middle , but I’m pretty sure the heat will be able to get out the dinner room, but I don’t think I’ll will be moving the stove. If I do. I’m going to try to get another company. To see can they tap into the chimney that’s upstairs

A sketch of the floorplan would help.

Does the upstairs chimney have a seperate flue from the basement flue? What does the upstairs chimney serve?

Reactions: Itslay90
A sketch of the floorplan would help.

Does the upstairs chimney have a seperate flue from the basement flue? What does the upstairs chimney serve?
I’m going to have to cancel that plan, they want to much money almost 9,000 and that’s something I’m not going to do, everyone is telling me just to insulate with foam board the basement walls cover it with drywall, and that will be cheaper

Last edited:
Keep in mind if you just insulate and put up drywall you will end up with mold issues. You will need a vapor barrier. When we did our basement I actually used 1/2 foam board glued to all walls then framed over that and added insulation and vapor barrier to make sure there was no condensation.

Keep in mind if you just insulate and put up drywall you will end up with mold issues. You will need a vapor barrier. When we did our basement I actually used 1/2 foam board glued to all walls then framed over that and added insulation and vapor barrier to make sure there was no condensation.
I meant to say foam board. 1/2 is r5 ?

Are you talking bout the price to remove my stove upstairs?
Yes. I don’t know exactly what you want, or what what’s quoted as far as requirements for hearth pad, pipe or whatever, but anything is easily in reach of DIY if you have a can do, and are physically capable.