New stove operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Esistheiß

Nov 17, 2022
Manitoba
Another noob post. I got a new stove installed this fall and it’s been a great addition for some heat. Just want to know how I can be more efficient. One issue I have is I always get it in to “too hot” portion of the thermometer, and i’m not throwing many splits in at all, 2-3. Putting the primary air control to a medium low burn setting as per the instructions .I’m reloading pretty often. Not getting a bed of coals in the morning and such. Maybe i’m expecting too much.

Thanks

Stove is a Bari plus

Another noob post. I got a new stove installed this fall and it’s been a great addition for some heat. Just want to know how I can be more efficient. One issue I have is I always get it in to “too hot” portion of the thermometer, and i’m not throwing many splits in at all, 2-3. Putting the primary air control to a medium low burn setting as per the instructions .I’m reloading pretty often. Not getting a bed of coals in the morning and such. Maybe i’m expecting too much.

Thanks

Stove is a Bari plus
What type of wood are you using?

There is (somewhere) a "sticky" thread on how to burn best with an EPA wood stove. I have never found it, as my page does not show these, somehow.
@begreen made the thread.

Reactions: RomanW
There is (somewhere) a "sticky" thread on how to burn best with an EPA wood stove. I have never found it, as my page does not show these, somehow.
@begreen made the thread.

Thanks

Stove is a Bari plus
The scales can be wrong if this is a stovepipe thermometer on the stovetop. Where is the thermometer placed and what temperature is the thermometer reading?

Reactions: 30WCF and RomanW
The scales can be wrong if this is a stovepipe thermometer on the stovetop. Where is the thermometer placed and what temperature is the thermometer reading?
The thermometer or gauge is right on the stove itself. Gives no temp reading, only “inactive” “active” and “too hot” I have to be really cautious to not over stock and not get it too hot and I see other users are able to pack their stoves full and have a much longer burn 🔥

What is the firebox size? the website says 1.25 - but gives no units.

If that is cubic foot, then you'ren ot going to get much longer burn times.
The stone in there may radiate heat for (much) longer though. (They advertise a 16 hr "heat life" - but these things, i.e. burn time, heat life, etc., are notoriously hard to agree on. What is burn time, what is heat life...).

Bottomline, if that is 1.25 cubic foot, you're doing pretty good already, imo, if the stove is still radiating out some in the morning, even if it does not have coals.

Esistheiß

Did you ever solve your problems with the Bari Plus? Did you ever maintain an overnight fire?

My main issue with my current 15yr old stove, a Wittus, is I can NOT get a fire to last overnight, 7 hours, where I wake up with enough hot coals to reload the stove and get going again. I usually make up with ash only and have to start as if cold. I was looking to get a Bari Plus but it also has a small fire box although my local store says I should have no problems with an overnight fire with the Bari Plus. Hearthstone claims a 16hr heat life, I just need 7 or 8 hours with enough hot coals left so I am not constantly restarting again in the morning.

There's just no way you're going to get a full overnight burn on a 1.25 cu ft non cat stove. It's too small. I have a 1.85 cu ft firebox and if I fill it up around 10-11 pm I can relight off coals at 7 am. Sometimes it needs resuscitation with a little kindling. That's 8-9 hours with a 50% bigger firebox so I think if you're getting 4-5 hour burn times (where you can reload off coals)you're doing very well in that little stove. Also keep in mind when you're stretching burn times out the last 1-3 hours aren't really doing much heat wise.