New Stove Owner and Question about Ash Catch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pat88

Mar 3, 2019
VA
Hi all,

So, after reading tons of stories I was able to sucessfully install my annoying Duravent vent which leaks like crazy. I sealed it up with tons of RTV and also high temp aluminum tape. The biggest leaks I found were at the elbow seems. REALLY annoying since these should be expected to be sealed proper from the factory.

Anyway, I have the Ash catch T in the house and I noticed on start up it leaks like crazy at the bottom but then stops. I was curious if this is normal or is this due to the cheap quality of the vent.

For those with the Duravent system, do you find yourself emptying that T often? I'm tempted to seal it up or just deal with the start up smoke.

Thoughts? Experiances?

I know its not lot of smoke and is harmless but its more for piece of mind.

Update, i noticed it leaks each time it gets a new fire going once it turns off when the desired temp is achieved. kind of annoying, its really not a lot, probably similar to a cigar burning up for the first time and then it doesn't leak.

aluminum tape the seam. don't silicone it. makes it harder to get off to clean

aluminum tape the seam. don't silicone it. makes it harder to get off to clean

Yeah i figured thats the case - thanks for the reply. How often would you clean it out? My schedule is running it all day/night twice a week while i work from home and occasionally at nights. I can probably run a shopvac hose from the exterior cap all the way inside to clean it out once a month. Is that suffient>?

Hi temp silicone tape - easier to remove. Although this pic was taken to show the thermostat wiring, you can clearly see that I have entirely sealed up the cleanout at the end as well as at its "T" connection. I find that elbows and T's seem to leak even though they aren't supposed to so tape them up as a matter of course.

Thermostat wired to P43-notated.jpg

Just to forestall comments that it should be hooked up to a UPS - it is. The cord that is plugged in behind the stove is to the UPS