Q&A new stove owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

New stove owners concern Hello, my name is Celeste. My husband and I just finished putting in our stove. To start, we bought a used stove. I don't know what kind it is, it is old, all it says is #24 Air Tight. We own a Bi-Level home, and the stove is on our lower level. We used a 6 inch oval to round pipe up and out of the stove. The insulated pipe goes out of our home and up the side of our house. I am having the problem of smelling smoke. It seems to get worse the more we use the stove. It was suggested to me be a neighbor that the chimney is not high enough. It was also suggested that I take off the cap? We are not seeing any VISIBLE smoke. The stove doesn't seem to have any visible leaks? Occasionally a little spillage of smoke will come out when reloading. Another person said that our set up is not ideal. Our chimney is on the outside and the stove is on the lower level? I had estimates done, and this was the set up recommended? Most of the people who own stoves in my development, with a Bi-level, have a similar set up? We were going to box around the exterior pipe in the spring, would that help? Well, if you have any suggestions, please let us know. We really want to use the stove, but not smell the smoke. PS: We don't have any odors when not in use, or feeling any major down drafts???

Answer:

The chimney setup does not seem too bad. Removing the cap could cause problems due to rain. You might want to get a draft increasing chimney cap like a vacu-stack...available from a company called ICP Products.

My guess is that stove and stovepipe may not be properly sealed. If the stove is cast-iron, this means you need to use furnace cement to reseal the seams from the inside. Use a droplight inside the stove and turn the light out to see if you can spot areas that need sealant.

Also make certain that you have used furnace cement to seal the seams of the stovepipe leading to the chimney. Lastly, make certain the room has some combustion air. The lower level in Bi-Levels is often partly underground and may be starved for air. Since the stove needs a decent amount of air to operate, this can cause smoke backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.