New Stove, Pad, Chimney Liner, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squirrel1410

May 16, 2017
Massachusetts
Hi everyone, I've read a few of these threads over the last few weeks, mostly about hearth pad construction. I will build my own between now and Fall. Have a chimney Co. coming to do the liner, drill into chimney, and hook up my Morso Squirrel 1410.

I'm also having my water heater moved since it vented into the chimney.

It's a small house, and a small living room where it's going, hence the little Morso 1410, but I really had to design this set-up to save space and be out of the way. That's why the two tiers of hearth pad, they also make the little squirrel not look so small. It only requires non combustible surface and the clearance distances I designed it around, but I want to over-engineer this thing to take bigger stoves requiring higher R value of it is ever replaced (ordered some Micore 300).

Anyone foresee any problems with my using a 45 degree angle on the outer stones where it comes from the floor? It's only ember protection, but maybe they will say it all needs to be a flat surface, I just like the slope a lot better.

Also, is my stove Pipe too close to that mantle at 8"?

Thanks everyone, and for all the info I've already read!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 7.15.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 7.15.55 PM.png
    110 KB · Views: 135
Greetings. The stove pipe will be too close if it single-wall which needs 18" clearance, but ok if double-wall stove pipe is used which needs 6" clearance. You might think about eliminating one of the 90º turns in the stove pipe, especially if the chimney is not very tall. See if you can come off of the vertical section with a 45º elbow pointing towards the thimble, then do a diagonal upward towards the chimney and then intercepted by another 45 at the chimney thimble. That will improve draft.

The bevel on the hearth is ok, but you might be better off without the inner raised section if the plan is to accommodate a larger stove in the future. There are many stoves that have ember protection only hearth requirements so this may not be an issue in the future, but there is no harm in adding the extra protection.

Thanks for the info Begreen! I'll have to make sure they use a double wall pipe then (I'm having the chimney guys do it).

I think if anything I'll enlarge the upper tier, but I doubt anything installed down the road will be too much bigger. I just also want to make sure just about any R requirement would be met.

Good to know about the draft. The chimney above that point goes another maybe 30 ft. total. I just felt that this design would get the pipe more out of the way.

With a 30 ft chimney the draft could be quite strong. Is there a stainless liner in it?

In that case the extra 90º turn in the stove pipe may be an advantage in slowing down the draft. That is unless negative pressure due to location is stronger.

Great info - I can't imagine any special circumstances in my area that would cause an unusual pressure scenario. And our house isn't overly air-tight by any means, which I've read can cause issues.