New stove, pellet help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieA

Dec 5, 2014
Rhode Island
Pellet stove newbie here. Harman XXV arrives 12/22. On the verge of ordering pellets.

House is 100 yrs old, 1200 sq ft, insulated but a bit drafty. Two rooms upstairs will be closed, except during extreme cold.

I understand it's best to try several varieties. But at this late date and with the shortage of pellets, I want to secure a supply asap. Also, I live on a peculiar dirt road and need to make sure a truck can maneuver a delivery (before the stove arrives!).

I am ordering from PelletsDirect in MA. Choices are:

- LG Granules $319/ton

- Geneva Super Premium Hardwood $319/ton

- SureFire Alberta Softwood $339/ton

- Miscellaneous Hardwood Pellets $339/ton - (could be any one of "16 High Quality Wood Pellets, including, but are not limited to: Geneva, InstantHeat, Orford, Ambiance, Green Gold, Barefoot & PWI/Logik-e.") My hunch is the Miscellaneous would be Geneva SP at this time.

Delivery is $79, regardless of amount.

2 or 3 tons? Brands?

My current thinking is 3 tons, one each of: Geneva SP, LG Granules, Surefire.

Or should I go with 2 LGs and 1 Geneva? Or all softwood?

On the site visit, the dealer suggested we'd get by with 2 tons this year. Should I order 2 tons and pick up single bags elsewhere if needed. Try a greater variety and wait for a better price next spring?

SO confusing! I thought the confusion was over when we decided on a stove.

I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Jackie

If you check out the pellet reviews it may help you decide what ones to buy but those you have posted all are good pellets you can't go wrong with the lg grabs really good pellet wish I could get more of them here good luck

Thanks Ken! I had checked the reviews before I posted, but still felt confused (not hard for me, ha ha). I appreciate your vote of approval. It helps to have an okay on my choice from someone with an actual stove!

Well dang! I learned my first pellet lesson. They go fast! My only choice now is Miscellaneous Hardwood. The first heating season will be interesting.

Everyone's stove is different. Try a few bags of a few varieties then use whichever you like best.

Pellet stove newbie here. Harman XXV arrives 12/22. On the verge of ordering pellets.

House is 100 yrs old, 1200 sq ft, insulated but a bit drafty. Two rooms upstairs will be closed, except during extreme cold.

I understand it's best to try several varieties. But at this late date and with the shortage of pellets, I want to secure a supply asap. Also, I live on a peculiar dirt road and need to make sure a truck can maneuver a delivery (before the stove arrives!).

I am ordering from PelletsDirect in MA. Choices are:

- LG Granules $319/ton

- Geneva Super Premium Hardwood $319/ton

- SureFire Alberta Softwood $339/ton

- Miscellaneous Hardwood Pellets $339/ton - (could be any one of "16 High Quality Wood Pellets, including, but are not limited to: Geneva, InstantHeat, Orford, Ambiance, Green Gold, Barefoot & PWI/Logik-e.") My hunch is the Miscellaneous would be Geneva SP at this time.

Delivery is $79, regardless of amount.

2 or 3 tons? Brands?

My current thinking is 3 tons, one each of: Geneva SP, LG Granules, Surefire.

Or should I go with 2 LGs and 1 Geneva? Or all softwood?

On the site visit, the dealer suggested we'd get by with 2 tons this year. Should I order 2 tons and pick up single bags elsewhere if needed. Try a greater variety and wait for a better price next spring?

SO confusing! I thought the confusion was over when we decided on a stove.

I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Jackie
Welcome in a newbie this year too and have a harman also. I have burned a lot of varieties this year from hd and lowes and premium brands. Okanagen df pellets and plangent platinum bestso far . Stove chows and green supreme awful . Fireside ultra pretty good but a little ashy. Royal fireside has a good deal on these brands. Good luck and the people on this site have helped me a lot. There great

Pretty much everything HD sells is quite Ashy . Stove chows, green Supremes, Presto logs, Nations choice,AWF etc..... many have good if Not Great heat but still ashy..
Best pellets they sell at times[ if u can get them] are the Blazers.. Douglas fir from Oregon.[ how they made it to outside Phila I'll never know. would think shipping costs a killer.
maybe shipped cheaper by Rail since HD selling 249.00 ton same as everything else.
picked up 6 bags and gotta say the hottest and cleanest pellets I ever burned.. Nothing I have burned comes close other than Energex Golden Pellets..0.5 ash...
and sold at same prices as the lower end stuff.
paid 28.00 for 6 blazers [with Military ID.

Last edited:
Harman Newbie - I see you are in RI also. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased the Okanagen df and plangent platinum? The stove dealer told me to only use premium pellets to avoid the Harman XXV squeal. So I'm hesitant to use HD or Lowe's pellets.

Thanks!

Thanks Tonyray. That's very helpful. I'll be on the lookout for Blazers and Energex. So far, when I've inquired at HD or Lowes, they were out of pellets.

And thank you for your service! My husband was in the Navy many moons ago.

Thanks Tonyray. That's very helpful. I'll be on the lookout for Blazers and Energex. So far, when I've inquired at HD or Lowes, they were out of pellets.

And thank you for your service! My husband was in the Navy many moons ago.
Your welcome..
San Diego back in the late 60's..
Mirimar NAS.

Even though I have five tons in my garage, I still make it a habit to buy 4 bags of every new brand I come across when out shopping. I keep a notebook with records of each pellet brand with settings, output, and my opinions. I'd recommend doing the same until you find a brand or two you like.

Even though I have five tons in my garage, I still make it a habit to buy 4 bags of every new brand I come across when out shopping. I keep a notebook with records of each pellet brand with settings, output, and my opinions. I'd recommend doing the same until you find a brand or two you like.
Forgot to mention that I also had 5 tons in the basement when I sprung for 6 Blazers yesterday..
would have bought a ton but hardly any room now...

Attachments

• IMG_2259.JPG
    IMG_2259.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 284
Harman Newbie - I see you are in RI also. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased the Okanagen df and plangent platinum? The stove dealer told me to only use premium pellets to avoid the Harman XXV squeal. So I'm hesitant to use HD or Lowe's pellets.

Thanks!
Your dealer was probably referring to the PFI (Pellet Fuel Institute) standard, Premium, which means something like less than 1% ash, less than 0.5% fines. The Super Premium PFI standard is half the amount of ash and fines as Premium. As for HD and Lowes, I think just about any nationally sold brand now meets the Premium standard. In fact, many of us here have bought Blazers, a Douglas Fir pellet shipped from Oregon from HD for $239 a ton. DF pellets typically sell for well above $300 a ton, so that's a steal for us New Englanders. I don't think anyone who's tried it has been disappointed and it was sold by HD. So, don't discount the big box stores, because they could have excellent pellets.

Now, back to your original question, I would definitely have gone with your original gut instinct and bought one ton of the 3 varieties. I burned LG last year for $269 a ton, and they were a very clean, no fines, pellet. Excellent spruce product. The Genevas, as I explained above, are a Super Premium meaning that they meet the standard which is half the fines and half the ash of "Premium". The Alberta pellets sound promising, as many Canadian pellets are quite good, so I would have tried all of them. Too bad they sold out.

Good luck.

chkn - that is a great explanation and very helpful. It gives me a better understanding of ratings and what to look for. Good to know my gut instinct was on target, just a bit slow, ha ha. I am keeping an eye out for new stock listed online and will check HD also.

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.