New stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2007
Southwest MI
I've been burning wood for 4 seasons now (24/7) in on older pre EPA stove. As I mentioned in other threads, I will be replacing it with either the Quad S4300 or the 5700. What happens if I select the 5700 and it turns out to be too much stove? Is it possible to run the newer stoves with smaller loads or reduced air and still keep the flue stack at a decent temp(say at least 300degrees)? I know how to run my old stove but am not sure how the new stoves run other than what I have read on your posts. Some of the guys have already weighed in with their suggestions because I did have a similar post earlier. However, I am happy for more suggestions, reasoning and help.

I have a 30 year old Ranch style home of 1,500 sq. ft. I live in southwest lower Michigan. It is insulated well for its age. I heat entirely with wood. Back up furnace is a forced air heat pump (water to air, not air to air). The stove will be installed in my lower walkout basement (1000 sq. ft.) within 4-5 feet of the forced air furnace in the exact spot where my current stove is. I have a large (2’X2’ cold air return that I open and circulate the heat from the stove and basement area to the back bedrooms on the main level as needed during the day. The house also has an open stair well from the basement for natural heat exchange.

I am changing over to a new stove to use less wood and have better emissions and a cleaner chimney. My current stove is a 1980’s era Vestal double door step top with cast iron doors and spin air controls (similar to old Timberlines). Only info I could get on the Vestal was that it was their largest stove and could heat 2200 sq. ft. I use good, dry, split hardwood I harvest myself. I typically use about 4.25-4.5 cords per heating season. It’s a possibility that the current stove may be too large (even though it must be inefficient). I’m not sure on that point though. I generally have to run the stove where it is 75-77degrees on the main level (where we spend our time). Of course in the basement it runs 80-85 degrees but we don’t go down there except to tend the stove. I have never experienced cold weather (even -15 or -20) that the current stove couldn’t handle.

I have focused on the Quad brand because of reputation, non-catalytic, up front draft/air controls (not out the side or rear), step top models, and N/S wood loading.

The Step top 4300 has a 2.44 CF box,delivers 70,000 btu max, heats 1,800-2,800sf.
The 5700 has a 3.44CF box, delivers 80,000+btu max and advertised to heat 2000-3500sf.

Perhaps I am trying to fine tune to the exact right size of stove too much?? But it is a large investment that will last 20 yrs. Too large of a stove and I will have to choke it, too small and it will have to run more wide open with short burn times. Who knows anymore?? Ron

the 5700 is to large for most cases. The 4300 would be more then enough stove for 1500 square feet. You can burn less wood, but the stove needs to have about 60% capacity to run efficiently.

I think it's 1500+1000 for the basement where the stove will be right?

Gunner said:
I think it's 1500+1000 for the basement where the stove will be right?

Yes Gunner, that's right. However, heating my 2,500 sq. ft. is not as difficult as heating the same sq.ft. on the same level. Right?

I think you would be better off with the large stove if your heating from the basement. I've done the same thing in two different houses and both times I tried medium sized stoves, found out they were not quite enough, and had to upgrade to a larger stove. If the larger stove is too over powering on warmer days just build smaller fires.

Todd said:
I think you would be better off with the large stove if your heating from the basement. I've done the same thing in two different houses and both times I tried medium sized stoves, found out they were not quite enough, and had to upgrade to a larger stove. If the larger stove is too over powering on warmer days just build smaller fires.

I appreciate your input Todd. The two size stoves I am deciding between are rated by the mfg. as large and larger. They have a couple of stoves in the small and med category as well. However, your point is well taken. Ron

I agree with Todd, when heating from the basement, I think you need to go larger.

Earthharverster has a 4300 and heats from the basement, but I think he is less than 2500sqft....maybe he will chime in.

BB is heating 2500sqft with a 3.5 stove in VA

When stove shopping,I visited three dealers and they all tried to put me into a 2cuft stove, I went with my gut and got a 3cuft stove and I'm very glad I did. I heat 1800sqft in southern Ontario and the stove is in the livingroom 10ft away from the sofa, I have never been "blasted" out of the room or open windows.

It is 32deg today and I burnt 3 small splits at 8:00 this morning stovetop was about 450 for 4 hours or so...glass is clean and no smoke was coming out my chimney.... I'll load three more before supper and maybe 5 before I go to bed to last all night. Now when it's cold I'll be filling it to the gills and running 600-700 non stop and be glad I have the space.

Ron you asked if it is possible to run a small fire in a big stove while keeping flue temps above 300, and burning clean.

Due not fret..it is possible, here is a short video of a small fire(3 splits) in a 3.0cuft stove, stovetop temp is 450 stack temp by probe just under 400.

Excuse the poor quality, this is my first attempt as a director
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/kevgsp/?action=view&current=MVI_1783.flv

Gunner said:
Ron you asked if it is possible to run a small fire in a big stove while keeping flue temps above 300, and burning clean.

Due not fret..it is possible, here is a short video of a small fire(3 splits) in a 3.0cuft stove, stovetop temp is 450 stack temp by probe just under 400.

Gunner, your video looks good. That lazy fire just about put me to sleep.

RonB said:
Gunner said:

Gunner, your video looks good. That lazy fire just about put me to sleep.

Gunner ain't cleaned the chimney yet.

I have had a look from the the bottom an the top but never swept it, I'll do it in May just for the heck of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.