New stove smell continues after a month

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbick1

Nov 2, 2022
Southeastern CT
I’m running a Napoleon s25i. Install and inspection was in late December. I’ve been pretty much using it daily. Every single time the Rutland thermometer gets in the middle of the green burn zone I’m getting an eye-watering smell. I did find some paint had bubbled and flaked off on the sheet metal on top that brings air into the blower. I’ve removed that piece-with a replacement coming-along with every bit of paint flakes i could find and still the stink continues.

The store i bought it from contacted Napoleon and they’re blaming the paint issue on the part that’s no longer there….

The fireplace bricks were painted white prior to me purchasing the house. When the stoves cold and i remove the backer plate i do see that some of the white bricks covered by the backer plate appear singed-an almost toasted marshmallow color.

Could this white paint-which is probably house paint in some form-be causing the smell?

I’m running a Forever Flex insulated liner through an aluminum block off plate with Roxul on top of the plate and around the liner where it passes through.

Thoughts ? Paint the white bricks with high heat paint??

It’s very possible that you’re cooking the paint off painted fireplace bricks. You can also continue to bake in the paint on your stove each time you reach a hotter temperature.

Yeah I’m almost positive that’s what it is. I guess I’ll try to put on a coat of white high heat paint but I’m not sure of the surface prep. Soap and water and scuff it with a wire brush?

I left ONE sticker on my stove pipe. ONE. When I get my pipe up there too much, I get this burnt plastic smell. It's part of the stove pipe now. There's no more plastic over the paper park that is now a tattoo in the stove. No joke, no razor or chemicals can get this off. Yet I still smell plastic?

I suspected it was fiberglass dust as half of that roof is not covered yet (new construction). But that shouldnt smell like plastic.

That's the only suspect I have. There is NOTHING plastic anywhere else around the stove.