New stove smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ken3698

Jan 14, 2008
Western NY
I just put in a brekwell P23 Insert. The manual states that we will get a smell for the first day or so, But I'm surprised on how strong the smell is. If I stick my head behind the machine, you can tell that's where all the smell is coming from. I went and applied UL certified tape on all the joints but no change in smell...

Current smell is like oily rubber,

Is this normal?

Thanks

ken3698 said:
I just put in a brekwell P23 Insert. The manual states that we will get a smell for the first day or so, But I'm surprised on how strong the smell is. If I stick my head behind the machine, you can tell that's where all the smell is coming from. I went and applied UL certified tape on all the joints but no change in smell...

Is this normal?

Thanks

New stove smell is definitely normal.....I had to have a window open a crack or so for half a day or more but the smell didnt go away for 24 hours or so.

ken3698 said:

Is this normal?

Thanks
Did you take the owners manual out of the Ash pedestal?
Just kidding

You want to burn it off on a low to mediam heat
the smell will be around for a day or soo but if it keep up
something might be wrong

One time I had a customer complain about smoke for 4 days
I when out and found a 6and1 screw driver melted between the Decorative top plate of the stove and the top of the firebox
Looked like Peanut Brittle on a stick

lol Yikes Rod....funny but not funny. yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.