new stove suggestion for barn home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrisfromlargo

Mar 31, 2022
Philadelphia, pa
Hi Guys, I have been reading hearth thread for close to 6 months
our family is getting serious about wood stove addition to our home.

- never had a wood stove before so total newbie
- ideally: looking for a centerpiece, large fire window that stays clean, and easy to operate
- area: 3000 sqft open concept living area (top floor), ceiling 14ft, another 8ft or so of attic, family bedrooms are on floor below
- corner wood stove location as shown
- ash pan? - reading here that it's better to get stove without one?
- side loading? seems to be less intimidating that loading stove from top?
- chimney - was thinking of double wall pipe
- planning to build a raised mantle

- stoves I have been thinking of:
1. VC defiant - seems little intimidating due to amount of maintenance and handholding required
2. Hearthstone Manchester - was my initial choice but reading here, seems the newer model has many issues
3. Woodstock progressive hybrid? Not sure if it would be a right fit but like various customization allowed, also having to find someone to install
4. Hearthstone Mansfield - do not see that it is available right now, I really the look of this but not sure for such a large space, soapstone stove is good for radiant heat
5. Jotul Oslo vs Carrabassett - concern about efficiency of carrabassett ??
6. Blaze King 40 - do not like the design of the stove indoor pic main.jpg indoor pic 1.jpg outside pic 1.jpg

Attachments

• floor diagram.pdf
    70.3 KB · Views: 124
Ok, first thing to do when looking for a wood stove is to put your wood up. It takes time to dry. Firewood sellers often say their wood is dry, but often have a different definition than what you will consider dry when trying to run the stove. Most of the time when people come here with an issue, wet wood is to blame. How often are you looking to run the stove? Evenings, weekends, 24/7, it determines how much wood to put up.

The next thing is to decide what you want out of a stove. Are you looking for heat or ambiance? 3000 sq feet of heating is probably asking too much of a stove even if you didn't have 14' ceilings. You can put a good size dent in the room's heat needs though.

Your room can easily take a 3+ cubic foot stove. Thatll give you the big window you desire.

I personally would scratch 1, 2, 4 and probably the Olso from the list. I would add pacific energy t6 and BK ashford 30 (the BK is tax credit eligible) . Im sure there are others. Do you want 4 cu ft 8” flue stove? 3000 sq ft is a lot of space.

think ahead you could easily burn 2+ cords a year . where will you store 3 years worth of wood. Location looks ok. will it vent straight up? might need a damper.

evan

Reactions: logfarmer
If you like the size of the king but not the look you should look at the regency 5200. Still pretty plain but without the goofy proportions of the bk.

Reactions: kennyp2339
If you like the size of the king but not the look you should look at the regency 5200. Still pretty plain but without the goofy proportions of the bk.

I agree.
Except for goofy. "Artsy" :)

And with the stove on the second floor, a damper is not likely necessary imo. Most stoves do well between 15-20', which this seems to be.

I agree.
Except for goofy. "Artsy" :)

And with the stove on the second floor, a damper is not likely necessary imo. Most stoves do well between 15-20', which this seems to be.
Well if going against many established rules of proportionality in design is artsy then yes lol

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
Art = no rules

Reactions: bholler
As another wood stove newbie (just got my first stove this past fall), I'd vote for the Woodstock. I have a Fireview from them that's been incredibly easy to run, I've been really impressed with the level of detail and thought that went into the design, and I really like the side loading. I have a much smaller space though, so the Progress is probably a better fit for you than the Fireview.

For installation, I had better luck finding someone to install it when I described it as 'a more expensive stove but I just really like this particular one', but I did have to call around quite a bit. My sense was that installers have gotten burned (=P) installing cheap tractor supply stoves and then having customers get mad at them when the stove doesn't work /fails quickly, so they have a blanket no-random-stoves policy. Saying that you're getting the stove to get that particular stove rather than to save a few bucks seemed to help with getting an exception.

Well if going against many established rules of proportionality in design is artsy then yes lol
@stoveliker it goes like this.. some people have ugly kids, some people refuse to think there kids are ugly, you like what you like.

Thank you all for great suggestions so far

1. I should start buying wood, we have plenty of space to store the wood - i see alot of facebook ads for firewood delivery in our area
most of the ads are selling for mixed wood, i am assuming that's probably not ideal
2. just slightly more for ambiance than heating the entire place - but we pay good amount to heat this space in the winter so it would be nice in the long term for cost
3. stove use - probably for evenings and weekends mostly
4. Vent - straight up
5. i would think more traditional or cast iron look be more appropriate
6. I didnt think about pacific energy or regency stoves so will also consider them
7. single wall pipe be better since it provides more radiant heat through tall ceilings?

so VC and hearthstone stove would not be appropriate for the space - due to ?

Given #3, I'd drop the BK off of the list. Much more suited for longer continuous burns and less ambiance (fire view) unless burned at high output.

4. Vent - straight up
What ever stove you choose, figure double wall black pipe (dvl) for the inside straight up portion due to total length of run, single wall will cool to much past 8ft in length, plus double wall lasts much longer and is better made, unless you find single wall welded pipe.

I’d go double wall it’s better to keep flue gas temps above creosote condensation temp. PE T6 would be my choice.

To give a totally alternate and blasphemous proposal...

If I wasn't primarily trying to heat my home with wood (or, as much as possible), to the point that I was planning to buy wood from someone else as my primary source, I'd be looking at a propane stove/fireplace.

The real deal is more work and mess in the house than you might expect. You're going to carry bundles of wood up the stairs and across that floor plan, then turn around and vacuum/sweep up the bark and dirt and sawdust, mostly for fun and ambiance?

A propane stove will look the part well enough, and be a heck of a lot easier.

Reactions: Hoytman
On the other hand for a weekend burner, it's not carrying a load in two to three times a day every day.

Nice home. One thing I can figure is the loft ceiling height at the top of the circular stairwell. It looks like about 4-5' from the angle of the picture.

Thank you all for great suggestions so far

1. I should start buying wood, we have plenty of space to store the wood - i see alot of facebook ads for firewood delivery in our area
most of the ads are selling for mixed wood, i am assuming that's probably not ideal
2. just slightly more for ambiance than heating the entire place - but we pay good amount to heat this space in the winter so it would be nice in the long term for cost
3. stove use - probably for evenings and weekends mostly
4. Vent - straight up
5. i would think more traditional or cast iron look be more appropriate
6. I didnt think about pacific energy or regency stoves so will also consider them
7. single wall pipe be better since it provides more radiant heat through tall ceilings?

so VC and hearthstone stove would not be appropriate for the space - due to ?
When you start calling around for wood see if anyone is can do a cord or 2 of all ash or soft maple mix. Most when they say mixed wood is mostly oak but they mix a bit of ash/hickory/other. Ash or soft maple bought now and stacked will be burnable in the fall even if not great. Oak might not be. Plus my wood guy loves me for taking all the ash and not wanting all oak so he gives me a discount!

@stoveliker it goes like this.. some people have ugly kids, some people refuse to think there kids are ugly, you like what you like.

Lots of beer ensures even the ugly ones find love too. Of course morning sobriety often leads to buyers remorse, lol

My opinion if you are going to be a wknd worrier, I would not spend big money on a stove! Go look what the big “box stores” have. Or like said above, go with a gas fireplace least you can watch the fire and it’ll give a little heat at the same time…

1. re: propane, we thought about it but we have a propane tank so it is already expensive especially for winter months
2. I would use the wood stove more often during the winter months than just weekend to supplement
3. thanks for wood buying advice.

right now: still thinking of either HS Manchester or Woodstock Progressive hybrid

Reactions: stoveliker
Well the search function at the top of the page is useful. Here is the link to threads with Manchester in the title. Do the the with the progress hybrid. I’m guessing the forums user experience will favor the Woodstock. Take that at face value. Do your own research