New stove tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vg3200p

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2021
Clinton county indiana
After our horrible house temps of 34.5 inside after the last cold snap we bought a new stove. It came on tonight. It's the vogelzang 3200sqft model. A 5 cubic foot firebox. This thing is a freaking monster. Took everything I had to get it inside. Doing the breaking burn tonight as it's warm out so we can have windows open while paint cures. Hoping she'll be a performer

20230102_194037.jpg 20230102_194048.jpg 20230102_195919.jpg

Attachments

• 20230102_202911.mp4
    12.7 MB
After our horrible house temps of 34.5 inside after the last cold snap we bought a new stove. It came on tonight. It's the vogelzang 3200sqft model. A 5 cubic foot firebox. This thing is a freaking monster. Took everything I had to get it inside. Doing the breaking burn tonight as it's warm out so we can have windows open while paint cures. Hoping she'll be a performer

View attachment 306790 View attachment 306791 View attachment 306792
Is it really a 5 cubic foot box? It looks pretty big but not that big. I am sure it will crank out some heat.

You need more floor protection Infront though.

According to its spec sheet its a 5 cbft firebox. I haven't measured. Yes was thinking of picking up a hearth mat for in front
Well yes but it's a spec sheet from us stove company. Just by counting brick it looks like about 4 plus or minus. Still a monster

Reactions: PAbeech
Well yes but it's a spec sheet from us stove company. Just by counting brick it looks like about 4 plus or minus. Still a monster
You could very well be right. It's rated at 152,000 btu. I thought I had read 5cbft. But it doesn't say that on spec sheet. I was wrong

20230102_205405.jpg

It does look big. Lot's of secondary burn tubes. Your going to burn a lot of wood if your going to get that house warm.

Reactions: Vg3200p
Looks like a US3200E to me. They are sold at Big R, Fleet Farm, etc.

Manufacture says firebox is 26" X 20.5" X 12.5" = 3.8 cubic foot, but then says 18" maximum log length in the manual. ? Maybe E/W loading? Heck... you could load a bunch of 18" logs N/S in the back, then put another 1-3 up front E/W.

EPA measured the firebox at 2.7 cubic foot. They probably enforce a clearance from the secondary combustors for fuel loading and standardize it across all stoves, so stoves with wide and deep boxes take more of a "hit" on measured size than tall fireboxes. There is some truth to that clearance and in practice it can be difficult to stuff a box full of wood when there's a bunch of pipes in the way.

It's an EPA 2020 stove that measures reasonable emissions and efficiency and is comparable to stoves of this design. This model is "tuned" from the factory to burn hot and fast. Expect furnace-like output. 20-70K BTU's on the EPA test bench. I ran a US2500E for awhile while waiting for our hearthstone stove to come in so have some experience with the brand.

I recommend the blower kit or some of those thermoelectric fans to help tame surface temps to something more reasonable and help extract the heat a little better.

My #1 gripe about the US2500E is that the gap between the baffle and the front of the firebox was too small, which, when combined with the position of the baffle relative to the door, and the forward most secondary combustor disrupting the air flow, would cause smoke to roll right out of the door any time it was opened. It didn't matter how it was opened, or if there was a window or door open in the room. It wouldn't stabilize either and begin drafting right, it would just roll smoke into the room for as long as the door was open. I hope the design of the US3200E is better in this regard for your sake. I intend to sell my US2500E at some point but will only sell it to someone who intends to use it in a shop or other drafty/dirty space where smoke isn't a big deal. This stove has no business being in some-ones home.

Reactions: spuldup
I've was running the vogelzang 2k sqft model before. It was way to small for our house. I know this is a cheap Chinese brand. But I never had a problem out of the first one. We needed more heat and I really didn't want to drop to much money on a high end stove. We have multiple home projects and our 2nd kid due in april. I measured firebox with a tape measure and got 22 long (if you went al the way to the glass you could get 25)18 wide and 14 tall to the bottom of secondary tubes. That gave me 3.2 cubic feet by the math.

Reactions: mcdougy and PAbeech
I've was running the vogelzang 2k sqft model before. It was way to small for our house. I know this is a cheap Chinese brand. But I never had a problem out of the first one. We needed more heat and I really didn't want to drop to much money on a high end stove. We have multiple home projects and our 2nd kid due in april. I measured firebox with a tape measure and got 22 long (if you went al the way to the glass you could get 25)18 wide and 14 tall to the bottom of secondary tubes. That gave me 3.2 cubic feet by the math.
Most of their steel stoves are decent. They don't hold up as well as higher end stuff but for the price they aren't bad. Generally I would recommend drolet over them but still not bad value

Reactions: PAbeech

That thing is a beast. Good for you ,no one deserves to be that cold in there home. Let us know how it performs 👍

Reactions: Vg3200p
Yea I would have probably suggested looking for an SBI 3.5 based platform.

(Solution 3.5, Osburn 3500, Gateway 3500, Escape 2100, HT-3000, FW3500, HES350,)

They can be found for as low as ~$1500 when in the Drolet/Century trims, they weigh about 25% more, built better.

(Solution 3.5, Osburn 3500, Gateway 3500, Escape 2100, HT-3000, FW3500, HES350,)

They can be found for as low as ~$1500 when in the Drolet/Century trims, they weigh about 25% more, built better.
Darn. I've had a really hard time finding any stove dealers around here. Got this at menards. We had some rebates and some menards gift cards from Christmas. So it was 1k out of pocket. If they weigh 25% more I couldn't of got it in my house anyway lol. I tipped the dolly twice with this one as it was.

Reactions: mcdougy and PAbeech
Darn. I've had a really hard time finding any stove dealers around here. Got this at menards. We had some rebates and some menards gift cards from Christmas. So it was 1k out of pocket. If they weigh 25% more I couldn't of got it in my house anyway lol. I tipped the dolly twice with this one as it was.
It will be fine.

It will be fine.
10 years ago one of these chinese stoves would have been laughed into the next dimension by wood stove enthusiast on every forum on the internet (saw it happen).

Now, with EPA regs forcing everything to use a decent combustion process, even the cheap stuff works pretty good.

10 years ago one of these chinese stoves would have been laughed into the next dimension by wood stove enthusiast on every forum on the internet (saw it happen).

Now, with EPA regs forcing everything to use a decent combustion process, even the cheap stuff works pretty good.
There were decent performing Chinese stoves 10 years ago and we have had EPA regulations forcing better stoves since the early 90s. Now the Chinese cast stuff is junk.

Congratulations on the new stove. Is this the VG3200-P? If so, it's a 3 cu ft stove. I've been curious about this big beastie. Please keep in touch and let us know how it works for you.

Is the stepped heart surround framing wood or brown tile? It looks sharp, but if wood, my concern is that it doesn't offer the required 16" protection measured from the stove door.

Congrats. That thing looks like a beast! Very similar to the Myriad I have.
Do you have somewhere to add a second stove? If your heat load is high enough that you needed a bigger stove, adding a second one may help out.

Not to hijack too much--but I'd love to be pointed at the lower trim levels of the Osburn 3500 and relatively good deals on the same. The 3500 is one I see from the usual suspects--relatively expensive ~$3500.

Not to hijack too much--but I'd love to be pointed at the lower trim levels of the Osburn 3500 and relatively good deals on the same. The 3500 is one I see from the usual suspects--relatively expensive ~$3500.
Drolet Legend III, Myriad III, or Austral III.

Go to SBI's site.

check out the dimension drawings for an accurate assessment of their lines.

check" myfireplaceproducts "for drolet and englander pricing and availability. You can order direct from them or check locally.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Those are the equivalents to the Osburn 3300
You're right, it's the Drolet HT3000 that shares the Osburn 3500 firebox. I got the models crossed.

The ht3000 has a stepped top. I don't think the osburn 3500 does. Perhaps internally similar. Idk.

just trying to keep things straight. Hopefully..

sbi provides detailed drawings for almost all of their line. It's a great resource for , well, details.

The ht3000 has a stepped top. I don't think the osburn 3500 does. Perhaps internally similar. Idk.

just trying to keep things straight. Hopefully..

sbi provides detailed drawings for almost all of their line. It's a great resource for , well, details.
It's not a real step top, the rear deck is more of a fancy, integrated convection lid. The door hinge is the opposite too. The HT3000 has a vermiculite baffle and the Osburn 3500 uses C-Cast. Internally, the firebox looks identical. There definitely are differences in the trimmings and fixing between the stoves. I don't mean to state that they are identical.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 1.16.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-03 at 1.16.23 PM.png

Reactions: Newbie78