New stove toy - Reotemp thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It’s getting yellow after a year, but still accurate. image.jpg

I got ours a few weeks after. So far it's ok but I see a hint of yellowing. Our 44 yr old SandHill thermometer is still white and accurate after all these years.
IMG_4057.jpg

Even after adjusting mine it’s way off and very slow to react. It reads low at higher temps and high at lower temps about 40-70 degrees.

Mine tracks pretty true. You might send it back and get another one exchanged. They are for industrial use, so they should trade it I would assume. I’ve never looked into the policy.

Looking for updates. I need to replace mine. It has worked fine, but the glass was starting to yellow. I went to do some stove top cooking and lifted the thermometer. The magnet stayed on the stove, and the dial came up with my hand. The only thing between them was a spring I was pulling on before I knew it.

I took it all the way apart before I put ot back together and adjusted it. I think it’s working fine, but want to shoot some temps. I also emailed ReoTemp to see if they warranty against the glass yellowing.

Anyway, I want to hear how yours is holding up. I’m trying something different this time. In the name of research, I just ordered a different brand of industrial thermometer.

This one has the more traditional looking back, and the magnets are not attached to the spring housing. You can get three different ranges, so I suppose you could put the 500* one on single wall pipe.

Some specs:
Accuracy is +\-2% of it’s range (so the 250* one would be more accurate than the 750* one I ordered)
2” dial vs the 2.5” on the ReoTemp
Glass lense

You can get the full specs off the manufacturer website.

I ordered one from here.

Last edited:
Just checked temps. I royally screwed that one up. It’s not tracking at all now. 250 reading, and the IR is almost at 500.
Pro Tip:
Don’t stretch the spring out 6”🤷‍♂️🤣
But you can see in the past, I may have abused it a little too.
IMG_2749.jpeg

IMG_2750.jpeg

I use a condar inferno and it matches up pretty well to the IR

I have to admit, 99% of the time all I use is the Auber for flue temps. The stove temps fall in line below that. I only check the stove top when cooking on it. Haven't done that a lot this year, it's been to warm. Today is the first fire in a week.
It has worked fine, but the glass was starting to yellow.
Ours is still ok. Is it the glass that's yellowing or the white paint on the dial?

I have to admit, 99% of the time all I use is the Auber for flue temps.
That’s what I usually do too, but I want to keep something for monitoring temps during a power outage. Aside from that, I wouldn’t have a STT thermometer or the Imperial flue probe.
Is it the glass that's yellowing or the white paint on the dial?
It was definitely the glass. I had it all apart, and the glass is yellowed, and has some etching on it from where the center pin for the needle rotates on it. The metal face of the gauge itself looks brand new.
I do like the clean look of the white face and not having pre labeled “zones” that don’t correlate with what I’m try achieve.

Last edited:
That’s what I usually do too, but I want to keep something for monitoring temps during a power outage.
An important point, since wood stoves become even more important during power outages. But a small UPS will run an Auber for a long time.

An important point, since wood stoves become even more important during power outages. But a small UPS will run an Auber for a long time.
I've run my thermocouple sensor with a battery powered meter. Most digital volt ohm meters have a plug in for a mini connector from a thermocouple.

I just go by eye and STT during a power outage though we haven't had one in a while. I have a Condar probe in the old stove pipe, but haven't put it into the new one. The lag was bad enough that I trust my eye better.

I have to admit, 99% of the time all I use is the Auber for flue temps. The stove temps fall in line below that. I only check the stove top when cooking on it. Haven't done that a lot this year, it's been to warm. Today is the first fire in a week.

Ours is still ok. Is it the glass that's yellowing or the white paint on the dial?
It's been the warm out there? Yikes. I could get away with just the heat pump on all these 42 and rainy days but my wife says she's cold so we make an overnight and AM fire.

Heat pump 68 != Stove 68 (or 72 lol)

Reactions: kcmclellan
I emailed Auber about a back up. They sent me these links. Check out the links for the Part numbers she sent me. Not sure how long they would last, but for spot checking it might be neat. I do have a couple of the bigger Dewalt batteries.
IMG_2814.png
Thanks for contacting us. In a power outage, you can use power banks or battery packs that supply 12VDC to power the AT100/AT200. If you have Dewalt power tools such as hand drills, you can also consider getting an adapter (PA-DD1 or PA-DD2) for its battery pack.

The USB RS485 adapter is for serial data communication, not for supplying power. And the USB ports can only provide 5VDC, not enough to drive the AT100/AT200 thermometer.

Best regards,

Sharron
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
(770) 569-8420

Reactions: NHWS
I emailed Auber about a back up. They sent me these links. Check out the links for the Part numbers she sent me. Not sure how long they would last, but for spot checking it might be neat. I do have a couple of the bigger Dewalt batteries.
Thanks for contacting us. In a power outage, you can use power banks or battery packs that supply 12VDC to power the AT100/AT200. If you have Dewalt power tools such as hand drills, you can also consider getting an adapter (PA-DD1 or PA-DD2) for its battery pack.
Thanks for posting that. Hadn't spotted those on the Auber site.

Reactions: 30WCF
It's been the warm out there? Yikes. I could get away with just the heat pump on all these 42 and rainy days but my wife says she's cold so we make an overnight and AM fire.

Heat pump 68 != Stove 68 (or 72 lol)
We're using the heat pump more now that we are paying for the wood. It has put on more hours this winter than ever, but that's because we are experiencing a strong El Niño and just went through the warmest December on record.

Reactions: 30WCF
Yep. I could set the heat on 65 and just have a fire at night and let the furnace bump on a couple times during the day, but what fun is that.

We're using the heat pump more now that we are paying for the wood. It has put on more hours this winter than ever, but that's because we are experiencing a strong El Niño and just went through the warmest December on record.
That's fair. Paying real money for the wood changes the equation a bit. It's been quite warm here too. Boring.

Well. I was hoping that it would be better. When I opened the box it was roughly showing the room temperature. I plopped it on a 500 degree ST and it peaked way too low. I monitored it for a bit and the stove slowly fell to about 415 and kept dropping as the coals broke apart. The new thermometer seemed to stay about 100 degrees low. Maybe I shouldn’t have put it on a hot stove and shocked it, maybe it’s off. Shouldn’t be that bad off if it came from an industrial testing equipment supply house. Looks cute though.

IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3445.jpeg

I’ll watch it for a while and see if the stove was maybe just dropping faster than the thermometer was climbing or something, but it did track downward with a cooling stove, 100F lower than IR.

image.jpg

Hmmm, got me thinking, I don't have a surface top, could it just be put inside like you do for an oven?

Getting it dialed in pretty close. It’s kind of tough given the lag that a bimetal spring has, and needing to catch a time when I have a steady stove top temp, but between a pair of gloves and channel locks, we are getting real close.

IMG_3454.jpeg

Hmmm, got me thinking, I don't have a surface top, could it just be put inside like you do for an oven?
No. The temperature in the firebox is much hotter. It's not designed for that kind of service. The best option in this case is to put it on the top face of the stove or on the door if that is not an option. Smaller, 2" dial thermometers are better there.