New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

armstrong

Oct 11, 2016
Massachusetts
Hey all,

I recently put up a new second chimney in my house last year so that I could start burning wood as a main source of heat. I live in central Massachusetts, so winters can vary in severity.
I am buying anew stove this year and torn between three/four models. I don't want to rely on the sales people as they don't all carry the same brands and highly doubt they will point me in the direction of a stove they don't sell.
About what I have to heat. I have a single family ranch house, 12-1600 square feet. Stove is located in the unfinished basement. I am adding about 500 sq feet on a slab area that is already pre existing, just not four season livable that will be open to the rest of the house once completed. That room will bring my house to the 1600 sq ft.
So in buying a new stove I want to prepare for the extra space.

Being in the basement, I am looking at three stoves, and if anyone can point me in the right direction would be immensely helpful.

DutchWest - non cat - large 2479
Napoleon - S9
Napoleon - 1900
Harmon - TL300

I am looking for balanced heat, lengthy burn (My current stove doesn't go for longer than 3-4 hours), and large square footage with good efficiency.

Thanks for any and all the help,

Greetings.
There are many other stoves that I would also consider including 3 cu ft stoves from Englander (30NC or SSW02) and Drolet (Baltic/Myriad II or HT2000). Of this list I would say no to the DW, Don't know about the S9, the 1900 can be a good choice if there is adequate draft, same for the TL300, though the TL300 with reservations due to its downdraft design.

Note that uninsulated walls in a basement will suck out up to a third of the heat into the ground outdoors. A major heat loss that means one cord out of three will be lost.

Whatever you choose, DO NOT go with the Dutchwest! Total piece of crap...

Reactions: chance04
Englander 30nc would fit the bill and be probably the most affordable option. Buck makes several options you might consider both in cat and non--cat. They are built like tanks. I'd avoid VC and downdraft stoves in general personally.

Englander 30nc would fit the bill and be probably the most affordable option. Buck makes several options you might consider both in cat and non--cat. They are built like tanks. I'd avoid VC and downdraft stoves in general personally.
I have both NC-30 and a downdraft harman. Nc-30 is a tank and a reliable heater but crude and not the powerhouse of heat and versatility the harman is,that said however i paid 2k for the harman and $650 for the Nc-30 so id say they are each well worth what i paid. currently looking at a summers heat 2400SF model 50 for $899 at lowes as a replacement for my NC-30 mainly cuz it has a HUGE fire viewing door.

I have both NC-30 and a downdraft harman. Nc-30 is a tank and a reliable heater but crude and not the powerhouse of heat and versatility the harman is,that said however i paid 2k for the harman and $650 for the Nc-30 so id say they are each well worth what i paid. currently looking at a summers heat 2400SF model 50 for $899 at lowes as a replacement for my NC-30 mainly cuz it has a HUGE fire viewing door.

What about a VC vigilant 2013 or a new VC defiant?
I just want a heating hog, with a long burn time, but don't want a HD or lowes stove. I have an HD stove now and hate it and don't want to make another investment on a stove that doesn't do what I need.

Personally I'd pass on the VC. A search of vc posts will bring up warranty issues, expensive broken parts, difficult operation, etc. They were just bought out again in the last couple years. Maybe things will change, maybe not.

What about a VC vigilant 2013 or a new VC defiant?
I just want a heating hog, with a long burn time, but don't want a HD or lowes stove. I have an HD stove now and hate it and don't want to make another investment on a stove that doesn't do what I need.
HD is just a store, they don't make stoves, they just sell them. Some are cheapos and some are decent. The Englander line is a proven value winner. What stove do you have now?

armstrong said:
I am looking for balanced heat, lengthy burn (My current stove doesn't go for longer than 3-4 hours), and large square footage with good efficiency

I can tell you the Harman burn time is exceptional for a non cat stove. Their rating of 18 hours is correct. However no stove will give maximum heat for the entire burn cycle. Usually once the place is good and warm the lower output in the latter half of the burn is enough to keep it comfortable.The harman is however a little more complicated to operate.It puts out so much heat that i couldnt use it in my living area as the 20 by 20 basement room its in goes to 90 degrees. It then keeps the Floors above comfortable 75 or so. My house is 3 floors 3000 sf

Status
Not open for further replies.