New stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

outdoorlife2005

Dec 15, 2017
springfield, illinois
Hey guys!

I landed a very nice wood burner for cheap. I've been wanting one to heat my garage.

I'm trying to figure out which thermometer to get for my stove top and for the chimney

Any advice? I'm running single wall (black) pipe. The wood burner is going in my garage and out the side of the wall.

Just as a side note , a number of insurance companies and town/city codes don't allow wood stoves in a garage . A fair amount of time any heat source may be required to be 18" to 24" off the floor . If your insurer isn't aware of the install and there is a fire , you may be out in the cold .....

Hey guys!

I landed a very nice wood burner for cheap. I've been wanting one to heat my garage.

I'm trying to figure out which thermometer to get for my stove top and for the chimney

Any advice? I'm running single wall (black) pipe. The wood burner is going in my garage and out the side of the wall.

I just use the cheap rutland thermometers. Seems to work fine. Especially for a garage.

Definately heed the advice of MS post above. Alot of insurance companies will allow a stove in the garage if you have a stove in the house and you are paying the wood stove premium. But you have to send in photos of the stove installed or have it inspected. There are also several companies that don't allow it at all.

I just use the cheap rutland thermometers. Seems to work fine. Especially for a garage.

Definately heed the advice of MS post above. Alot of insurance companies will allow a stove in the garage if you have a stove in the house and you are paying the wood stove premium. But you have to send in photos of the stove installed or have it inspected. There are also several companies that don't allow it at all.

This is all true. But I’ve always wondered, wouldn’t the addition of an OAK turn most stoves into direct-vent heaters, making them legal (or at least safe) for garage usage?

The garage concern, I believe, is based on the likelihood of gasoline fumes being present at inlet of the stove. It applies to many types of heaters, not permitted for use in a garage, not just wood stoves. However, I believe direct-vent heaters are almost always permitted in a garage.

Reactions: Doc C
This is all true. But I’ve always wondered, wouldn’t the addition of an OAK turn most stoves into direct-vent heaters, making them legal (or at least safe) for garage usage?

The garage concern, I believe, is based on the likelihood of gasoline fumes being present at inlet of the stove. It applies to many types of heaters, not permitted for use in a garage, not just wood stoves. However, I believe direct-vent heaters are almost always permitted in a garage.

My wife is an insurance broker and the way she explained it to me besides the fumes was that the insurance companies prefer to not have wood stoves in buildings that are typically unoccupied.

Personally I think it's just because a wood stove is a common cause of fires and 2 wood stoves are a common cause of 2 fires doubles( maybe not quite doubles) the risk for them but they can only charge a small amount more for a second wood stove.

Also I would think that gas fumes would be sucked into the stove when you open the door. And on the EPA stoves I believe there are still some holes that draw air from the room. It's just the main air supply comes from outside with an OAK

This is all pure speculation with a little bit of wild a#% guess thrown in.

Reactions: Ashful