New T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enplater

Burning Hunk
Jun 6, 2017
NH
I have a new PE Alderlea T5 (black) on order and I was wondering if anyone knows any common issues, traits, quirks, common part failures…that kinda stuff that I can know of. I haven’t read anything bad so far, only good things. I was going to get a Drolet 1800 but that deal fell through and decided on the T5. The N/S loading will make it worth it I bet.
Thanks for any info,

Reactions: EbS-P
It's a pretty tough stove. Remember to stuff a rag in the secondary feed tube if you pull the baffle for flue cleaning.

Reactions: Enplater
Are there any spare parts I should keep in stock?

I don't stock any parts. The only one I've considered stocking is this gasket:

But I don't clean the chimney through the stove, so I only needed to replace it when I disassembled the stove to try cleaning the chimney that way. Some cleaning through the stove every year and need more gaskets.

Reactions: EbS-P and Enplater
I don't stock any parts. The only one I've considered stocking is this gasket:

But I don't clean the chimney through the stove, so I only needed to replace it when I disassembled the stove to try cleaning the chimney that way. Some cleaning through the stove every year and need more gaskets.
Agreed, that gasket will likely disintegrate when you remove the baffle.

Yes, the gasket will disintegrate each time the baffle is pulled. For the first 3-5 yrs of operation that may be the only part required if you clean bottom-up with the baffle removed. Be sure to stuff a rag in the secondary feed tube if you do. Hogwildz, myself, and some others have fashioned our own baffle gasket out of thin door gasket rope. You could also cut a few of your own out of a square of 1/8" ceramic blanket, but they are cheap if you just want to get them from the dealer.

Eventually, some of the firebricks may get cracked if the wood slams against it frequently. The stove takes standard-sized pumice firebrick. After about 5+ baffle removals the side-sealing insulation will show wear. The door gasket should last at least 4-5 yrs with normal use. Only replace that with the OEM door gasket.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies.

It’s an easy breather. If you have a tall chimney, beware of lots of draft!
I second this; ours is in the basement of a log home and the liner goes up about 30 feet had to install a damper, have it open when starting fire then closed after single wall pipe just above damper hits 500-600