New to burning-couple questions after running Osburn 2400 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blueox4

Nov 20, 2017
Syracuse, NY area
So I’ve had several fires in my new Osburn 2400 insert and have a couple questions.

1) I’ve been emptying the ashes usually once a day if I had a fire and though I’m very careful to gently shovel them out of the firebox and gently dump them at the bottom of the ash pail I seem to be getting fine white ash dust all over. Is there a better way to remove ash without the dust everywhere?

2) I find myself removing a lot of coals with the ash when I shovel it out. Is there a way to easily separate coals from ash?

Thanks and so far it’s kept us nice and warm! Really like stove but would like to keep more coals in it when taking ash out and not get white dust everywhere.

Leave the ashes in the stove longer. It does not need daily cleaning. The ash bed will help keep the firebox hotter. The frequency of cleaning will vary with the wood species being burned, but once a week should suffice. When cleaning, move the hot coals to one side then scoop out the ash on the opposite side. Then reverse the process and move the coals to the other side and remove the ash. There are also a variety of ember shovels made for this but I haven't tried them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GT8J30K/?tag=hearthamazon-20
https://www.lehmans.com/product/koal-keeper-ember-recovery-tool/

Reactions: Blueox4
Take your time with the shovel.

If you dump ash into the ashcan, it will look like a volcano. Slowly lower it down to the bottom and let the ash slide off gently while you cover the top with the ashcan lid.

The slower you go, the less trouble you will get in later when the wife notices.

If you want to get fancy, put a fine dust filter in your shop vac and stick the nozzle in a chair so it is above the ash can, and it will pull in most of the floating dust as you shovel. Don't get any coals in there- "shopvac fire" is not a fun living room activity.

I used to filter the coals out by dumping the ash bucket into a fry basket a few days later, but the only use I ever found for the resulting charcoal was dumping it back in the stove.

Reactions: Blueox4 and begreen
Coals can remain hot in an ash can for a long time. Only dump the ashes into a metal bucket or can and be sure that the surface it is set on is completely non-combustible. I use a 10 gallon garbage can and set it on bricks.

Reactions: Blueox4
You should be able to make it about a week before the ashes need removed from the stove. Even in the winter I'll let my stove go cold once a week to empty the ashes, much easier and prevents the volcano. Burned my hand once emptying hot ash/coals. If you have excessive coals make sure to rake forward towards the door during reloads and leave the door cracked, pushed shut but not latched, and attended and that will help cook down the coals.

Take your time with the shovel.

If you dump ash into the ashcan, it will look like a volcano. Slowly lower it down to the bottom and let the ash slide off gently while you cover the top with the ashcan lid.

The slower you go, the less trouble you will get in later when the wife notices.

+1 to all of that. Also, shoveling it out when the coals are still warm/hot will help a little.

I just got the osburn 2400 this week. I feel like I am running into the same problem. I am getting loads of coals and not a lot of ash. So at the end of the day I have layer of hot coals and then a dark layer of unburnt coals. When I dig to the bottom I have very little ash. Any tips on getting this to burn better? I also cant get much past 4-5 hour burn times on this.

Black, non-burning coals can be caused by two things. One would be wood is not dry enough. Second would be not enough air towards the end of the burn.

That said, “getting loads of coals” can also come down to your process. If you reload too soon, you will be building up your coals, which can be typical for some in the coldest times of winter because they’re running the stove hard.

I think my wood might not be as dry as it should be which is prob not helping. And yes I was not letting the coals burn. After I get it good and hot I just try to put 1-3 good size logs in to keep it burning.

I just got the osburn 2400 this week. I feel like I am running into the same problem. I am getting loads of coals and not a lot of ash. So at the end of the day I have layer of hot coals and then a dark layer of unburnt coals. When I dig to the bottom I have very little ash. Any tips on getting this to burn better? I also cant get much past 4-5 hour burn times on this.
Split some pieces small, like an inch, and throw three or 4 of these small splits on the coals, leaving the air open. This will throw a little heat, and help reduce the coal bed. Sometimes 2 or 3 cycles of this are necessary to reduce the coals, but then you'll be ready to load again.

ED 3000's suggestion works good for this, i've found it works even better if the split you put on to burn down the coals is a soft wood since they leave less coals

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
ED 3000's suggestion works good for this, i've found it works even better if the split you put on to burn down the coals is a soft wood since they leave less coals
Yes, I should have mentioned this. I prefer pine and tulip poplar.

Once a day is way too much.
I had a hankering to empty ashes today, since its above freezing outside.
I open the draft and crack the door and stir up the coals once in awhile until the coals are more or less ashed out.
There're still embers, unless you want to wait til it cools off completely, which I might today.
If I let my insert get really totally stone cold, there might be a reverse draft, which doesn't help with ash flying out into the room.
Did I mention not to keep the fan on when doing this, lol.
I've used a stainless steel ash scooper for several years now, and it's been working well.
You still have to watch the embers, but it makes things more convenient, and I just put the contraption on concrete in the breezeway. It cools off fast.
I'll try to find a link:
http://hearthhelpers.com/ash-scoop/
I got the regular size-if the height fits, bigger is better.

I am new to this type of stove so I am prob doing this all wrong. I pretty much run the stove with the air open full time.This will keep the house around 70 and the room the stove is in at around 74-76. The only time have have been cutting the air is when I am away and try to get longer burn times. Even with this on low I am only get 4-6 hours before im down to coals. I noticed that my last load of wood i was using was very damp. I got a tester and trying to keep all the wood I am using below 30% moisture as I dont have a lot of options. I have a new back of wood coming next week that is going to be below 20% moisture.

Any and all advise would be great!!! I feel like I am always one step behind on this stove.

Thanks!

I own a 2400i. Here is my method:
1. I don't shovel ash for at least 1 week. most of the time 2 weeks.
2. I always rake my ash and coal beds every morning and every day after work to bring large coals to the front and clear a space in the rear for fresh wood.
3. I usually, after raking coals forward, keep door cracked open and put some kindling on top of the hot coals and let it burn a little while. That promotes the remaining coals to get red hot and break down further.
4. Load E-W for longer burning times and because you raked forward you are promoting front to back burning.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I will give that a shot tonight. i have been stacking front to back but noticed the back is not burning all the ways down so then i racking the back to the front trying to get them to burn down but could never catch up.