New to Forum with Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JerBee

Apr 11, 2020
Kansas
Hello, All...I just registered today but have been heating with wood for 25+ years. My question is one I have researched on this site a little but I wanted some clarification. Normally I cut one winter ahead but like a lot of people I suspect ,the pandemic is keeping me at home so why not stock up? So...I located the largest mulberry tree I have ever seen - it was killed I believe in a lightning strike. Not my favorite wood but it was an easy get. I cut and hauled load after load home and rain it thru my splitter 6-8" x 20". There is still a fair amount of moisture in it but it seems to dry quickly. Problem is storage....my wood shed, which was already over half full was quickly packed to the rafters. The remainder I put in another shed. The surplus mulberry is split and stacked in the shed - it has ventilation but not wind or sunlight. My question (finally!) is: can this mulberry get over-seasoned in this shed? I don't seek to understand the science behind it but wonder if I don't burn this wood in winter '20-21, is there such a thing as it getting overdry by winter '21-22? Thank you so much for answering my question.

Can always just stack it out in the open instead of making room. I love mulberry and have had good burns with less than a year of seasoning left out in the wind and sun. By far my favourite wood.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Question for you
What do you mean by" over-seasoned"?
I have Cherry cut and milled by my Great Grandfather
in 1862. so well over 100 years (I am in my 70)
It has been stored in my cabinet shop for nearly 40 years
I just went and checked the moisture content
it is 10 % just above the 6 to 8 % for kiln-dried
That is classified as stabilized wood.
Normally my firewood is from 16 to 18 % after 2 years
perfect for heating

• Wow
Reactions: andym
Question for you
What do you mean by" over-seasoned"?
I have Cherry cut and milled by my Great Grandfather
in 1862. so well over 100 years (I am in my 70)
It has been stored in my cabinet shop for nearly 40 years
I just went and checked the moisture content
it is 10 % just above the 6 to 8 % for kiln-dried
That is classified as stabilized wood.
Normally my firewood is from 16 to 18 % after 2 years
perfect for heating
I just meant does the heat value of wood deteriorate if the wood becomes over dry. From what I have picked up on here, it does not. That cherry your grandfather cut sounds like some sweet stuff!

I just meant does the heat value of wood deteriorate if the wood becomes over dry. From what I have picked up on here, it does not. That cherry your grandfather cut sounds like some sweet stuff!
The firewood if kept dry only gets better with age
The dryer it is the more BTUs you get
The Cherry
Some day I hope my Grandsons will build something with it
Both my Grand Sons are becoming skilled craftsmen in woodworking
using old-world joinery and tools

Reactions: D8Chumley