New to me 1993 Osburn 2400 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobd1001

Oct 11, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I recently picked up a used but great condition 1993 Osburn 2400 Insert for $800. We were all set to get a Drolet 1800i, but was notified by our installer they were backordered until March, so I lucked out finding this locally and think I may have ended up with a better stove. Really excited to see the secondary burn in action. I do have a few questions about it though, so hopefully someone out there can help me.

My first concern was that there was a ceramic wool blanket (in bad shape) above the baffles, and from what I've read those are no longer implemented by Osburn, but seeing as mine came with it, should I cut a new blanket for it, or just run with the baffles as they do with the new ones? There was also a 1/4" thick steel plate up with the baffles that I dont think was original... The seller removed some bricks and the baffles for safer transportation, so I didn't get to see where it came from, but I think it was being used in place of one of the firebricks used for the baffle.

The fan on this one is a variable speed, but doesn't have a thermal switch. I have already ordered one to add, that way it'll kick on automatically, and shut off automatically and hopefully keep coals longer, but just want to make sure this wont affect anything negatively.

There is also one cracked firebrick in the back middle row. I used to work with refractories, so I have plenty of furnace cement and high temp repair mortar available, is there anything wrong with simply repairing that brick rather than ordering a new one?

If there are any other good tidbits to know regarding this particular stove, I would greatly appreciate any insight.

received_466155402092058.jpeg received_616273003587703.jpeg received_676096067479139.jpeg received_3288263401490109.jpeg capture.JPG

Nice find. There is no harm repairing the bricks with refractory cement. Or just swap it out with a floor brick that is not cracked.

Reactions: Bobd1001
I have a similar aged osburn 1600. When I redid my stove when I got it I was able to find all the parts I needed including that ceramic blanket from here https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/1600-parts/

Is that 1/4” plate a circle? If so it’s the weight to hold the ceramic wool insulation in place so it doesn’t get sucked up the chimney.

I have a similar aged osburn 1600. When I redid my stove when I got it I was able to find all the parts I needed including that ceramic blanket from here https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/1600-parts/

Is that 1/4” plate a circle? If so it’s the weight to hold the ceramic wool insulation in place so it doesn’t get sucked up the chimney.
Thank you I will definitely use them for replacement parts as needed. I'm very excited to get this stove fired up. The steel plate that was above the insulation blanket on mine is square, but I imagine square or round there wont be much difference if its just meant to weight down the blanket.

Reactions: weee123
Let me know if you’ve got any questions and I might be able to answer em