New to me hearthstone Phoenix.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky9

Jan 28, 2014
Oregon
I must say, so far I have been very happy with my craigslist find. Bought a house a couple years ago that had and old parlor stove in it...it should have come out, but could not afford a different stove at the time. I live on the Oregon coast, where temps are very mild...I went through 4 1/2 cords last year!!

Had been scanning craigslist for quite some time looking for a good stove for fairly inexpensive. Found this hearthstone Phoenix for $500. It does need new glass, which I will get ordered soon.

Last weekend, I took out my old parlor stove and put the Phoenix in. What a difference!! Takes longer to bring the house up to a comfortable temp...house was built in 1907...no insulation, and original single pane Windows. Hopefully get a garage built, then next project will be Windows, siding, and insulation.

Old parlor stove...not mine, but this is the exact same. Everett stove works no24
image.jpeg
The Phoenix.
image.jpg
Will end up redoing the whole surround this coming summer

Reactions: countybrown
Nice find! When you re-do the surround, you will have to post pics.

I had a Phoenix for 9 years, really liked it. Just wasn't big enough for me. Make sure your wood is dry, and it will be a good heater. With eastern hardwoods I would get 8 hr burn times with easy restarts.

Welcome to the Phoenix family! You'll come to you really love the stove once you figure out all the in's and out's.

Just a few helpful hints right up front:

-Dry wood is a must.
-Don't bother with the ash pan. It's very small and takes three times as long to empty rather than just scooping the firebox.
-Learn to master the primary air control.

Overall, it's a great stove! If you have any questions about operation or how to clean/maintain/disassemble the stove, feel free to ask. There are a few Phoenix owners that hang around here.

Here is my setup:
deb7ab3a02893a3b05d3d1f990c3194c.jpg
1e30a128739e7e2df712a06d3d4f087e.jpg

I will be using dry wood...mostly fir...sometimes maple and spruce as well.

Countybrown, that is a great setup...similar as to what mine will be when finished. I will have a rock surround topped by a cedar live edge mantle that I milled a little while ago...letting it dry now.

Let it cool down enough for the first time to scoop the firebox today. Tried the ashpan...as stated above, that was a joke (and not a funny one). I will have to replace the glass, as well as get a new fire blanket to replace the old torn up, mostly nonexistent one.

I think so far, my wood consumption is about 12 to 1/3 of what it has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.