New to me PF100, install pictures help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a5t1

Dec 6, 2011
UP
Had a harman P38 and loved it. We moved and now purchased a new to us PF100. The ducting is new to me so I'm looking for guidance / examples of how others tied it in to existing duct work.

Sure, these should clarify. For the record, we just purchased this place. The previous owner was...unique? Regardless, duct tape and other oddities you see are a result of his handiwork. I'll be rectifying all of that as I go along. Without further adieu...

This is where the PF100 is sitting now, I'm thinking of venting above the sill

ddep.jpg

Another shot of where the PF100 is relative to the furnace
p9d8.jpg

Old oil furnace, PF100 is on the other side of it:
x0lh.jpg

Side of oil furnace with PF100..
jaew.jpg

Nice Furnace!!

A good start would be to download and print the install manual from Harman. http://www.harmanstoves.com/Products/PF100-Pellet-Furnace.aspx If you got to that link, below the picture you will see "downloads" click on that and then click on "install manual" That will give you a fair amount of information that you may need quickly in the future and also help with the install.

Although there are also many helpful people here that will set you in the right direction as well.

Thanks, I have the manual, just looking for guidance on the duct work. Do I need a custom box to fit on top of the PF100?

Kinda looks that way as I don't see in the manual any supplied reducer or any fitting that goes from what ever size that supply take off is to say a 10" round or what ever. Take a measure of that supply on top there and call around to any sheet metal supply houses and you might find that is a standing duct size. Other wise a pretty easy job for a tin knocker to make up.

Reactions: smoke show
you may find a plenum of 14"x18 as a common item at a place like F.W.Webb. you'll have to do some custom tin knocking to tie it all together but the plenum isn't that odd a size.

Going to need a back flow damper to keep the main system from blowing back in to the Harman installed somewhere in the stream, maybe on top?

yep, probs put it right above the custom plenum he's gonna have to make.....Im guessing that PF is going to be pretty near the old furnace.....

How are you exhausting that bad boy?

On second inspection, youre gonna have to scoot that PF forward, you are gonna have a really hard time tinning it over to the output duct as it sits....besides, you've got no room for the fan and fan box for the PF.....you DO have the fan and box, right?

Yes, have the fan and box, there is enough room for them, it's hard to see in the pic. The exhaust if going to run between the floor joists and out the top of the basement wall...

Yes, have the fan and box, there is enough room for them, it's hard to see in the pic. The exhaust if going to run between the floor joists and out the top of the basement wall...
Do you have pictures for it after it's installed? Where you able to find the 14x18? where? Thanks

I'll try and take a few pictures of the final install. In short it all had to be made custom (the supply). I purchased all of the 4" exhaust pipe online as no one in my area stocked it.

Hard to tell from the pictures, It might be wise to look the existing chimney and furnace over closer, I see soot on the top of the warm air pipes and where it connects to the chimney indicating an issue somewhere in the existing oil setup, Sometimes this is simply a needed tune up and sometimes a crack in the heat exchanger.

If the old furnace is past it useful life why not just remove it and put the pellet burner in it's place. This might be a better choice if the pellet burner is the main source of heat.
It is a lot more efficient to blow the air straight up into the existing duct work than to go around corners and thru dampers.

I don't see any central air however one could be attached above either furnace in the future if the need arises.

Here is a dwg of the sheet metal connection from my PF100 to the hot air duct. It would need to be modified to fit your install. A couple other guys on here have used this for a starting point. A sheet metal shop would be able to build it.
Be sure to install isolation dampers in your ducts.
Plenum6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.