New to me saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I'm going to pick up a husqvarna 550xp on Saturday. Only had 3 tanks run through it so he says. I think I'm getting a good price, $300 on it and pictures look good. Anything to look out for with autotune saws. I am not real familiar with them. It's a 2019 year model.

I'm going to pick up a husqvarna 550xp on Saturday. Only had 3 tanks run through it so he says. I think I'm getting a good price, $300 on it and pictures look good. Anything to look out for with autotune saws. I am not real familiar with them. It's a 2019 year model.
Sounds like a great deal to me!

Reactions: duramaxman05
be careful.. everytime i see a good deal and take it,, i get burned.....isn't that like half price? too good to be true?.. try it out really good before you pay for it...
Heh, I just got burned on a used saw... Maybe you are right.

Brother inlaw fueled up his new saw and started in cleaning up some deadfalls around his cabin. He's not the best at keeping his fuel cans organized. I walked around - counted 11. He grabbed the wrong one - the one with no mix, and left outside in the rain with the cap left off. Off to go get another new saw. Stuck it in the dirt a few times, asked me why it won't cut. Said, here, you can cut if you want. New chain, cut the rest of the day. What a joke. I don't think he tried to sell the old saw, hmm, not sure.

Just like any used saw...
Pull the muffler and check the piston and cylinder for scoring.
If he will not let you,set the saw down say thank you and head for your truck.

be careful.. everytime i see a good deal and take it,, i get burned.....isn't that like half price? too good to be true?.. try it out really good before you pay for it...
Yeah half price. I think they are about $600 new.

It's certainly good to be cautious on this one.

On the other hand, there are folks who try to treat them like pre-AutoTune saws and wonder why it just won't run like it should. If that's the case, it's to your benefit that they didn't RTFM.

It's certainly good to be cautious on this one.

On the other hand, there are folks who try to treat them like pre-AutoTune saws and wonder why it just won't run like it should. If that's the case, it's to your benefit that they didn't RTFM.
I hope that is the case. I have been around but never owned a autotuned. Makes me a little nervous. I'm sure since it a 2019 model the bugs should be worked out of it.

I bought a MS261 M-tronic, I haven’t ran it very much but it’s along the same lines as the auto tune. Mine you are supposed to let run about 15-20 sec to allow it to acclimate to temp, humidity & altitude, not that the altitude I use it at changes much. If you don’t let it acclimate it cuts out when you try to rev it up. I have done some reading on different sites about having to reset it if you run it out of fuel & various other this that require resets. My saw mechanic said sometimes it takes 2-3 tanks to get the Stihls to get back to fully tuned after a reset. I would recommend buying a manual for it just to read about the nuances of the auto tune that way you at least have some idea of what’s going on if it acts up. Good luck

What size chain and bar are you guys using on them. I would like to switch it over to a 3/8 chain so it would match my other saw. Its has a 16" .325 on it.

Maybe change the other saw to 0.325

Well I went looked at the saw. The chain was off so I was like oh boy. I told him I wanted to pull the muffler off and look at the cylinder and he looked at me like wtf.so I took it off and the cylinder looks new. Put the muffler back on. He tried putting the chain back on and couldn't get it. He didnt know about the adjuster screw when I said I would put it on and started loosening the adjuster. Its was so hard not laugh. I dont think he had any idea about the saw. So I started it and let it idle for 20 to 30 seconds. Seemed to run and oil good. I took the top cover off and it looked new. No dust at all under there. I didnt try cutting any wood because could see he hit something with the chain. I got it home and sharpened it and put my good gas in it and went to doing some cutting. Saw ciluts great. Light, very nimble and actually small for its size. Time will tell if it becomes my favorite over my dolmar 421.

Attachments

• 20190622_122502.jpg
    20190622_122502.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 272
Maybe change the other saw to 0.325
My dolmar 421 has the 3/8 picco and my jonsered 2172 has the bigger 3/8 and so does my stihl 031av

My dolmar 421 has the 3/8 picco and my jonsered 2172 has the bigger 3/8 and so does my stihl 031av
Maybe pick up an 18" B&C setup for the 550 in 0.325. The narrower kerf is really nice and I prefer it over standard 3/8. Never used 3/8 picco/lp, but I imagine it to be similar to 0.325

Well I went looked at the saw. The chain was off so I was like oh boy. I told him I wanted to pull the muffler off and look at the cylinder and he looked at me like wtf.so I took it off and the cylinder looks new. Put the muffler back on. He tried putting the chain back on and couldn't get it. He didnt know about the adjuster screw when I said I would put it on and started loosening the adjuster. Its was so hard not laugh. I dont think he had any idea about the saw. So I started it and let it idle for 20 to 30 seconds. Seemed to run and oil good. I took the top cover off and it looked new. No dust at all under there. I didnt try cutting any wood because could see he hit something with the chain. I got it home and sharpened it and put my good gas in it and went to doing some cutting. Saw ciluts great. Light, very nimble and actually small for its size. Time will tell if it becomes my favorite over my dolmar 421.

Wow, you got a sweet deal then. Some folks we know asked me to check out their saw. It's an older MS250 with the thumb tensioner. When I walked up to the saw it had loads of rust and the chan had several inches of slack. The adjuster was frozen in place. Some people should not own saws. You probably saved your seller's life!

Maybe pick up an 18" B&C setup for the 550 in 0.325. The narrower kerf is really nice and I prefer it over standard 3/8. Never used 3/8 picco/lp, but I imagine it to be similar to 0.325
I just put a new chain on my 421 dolmar that has the 3/8 picco. I put a Oregon 91vxl. All I can saw is wow. Of course I did some muffler work to it and that really woke it up. It will out cut my dads stihl 029 super. He will probably crap when he uses the 550xp. I will probably keep the .325 on it for a while. I would like a 18" or 20" bar on it though.

Wow, you got a sweet deal then. Some folks we know asked me to check out their saw. It's an older MS250 with the thumb tensioner. When I walked up to the saw it had loads of rust and the chan had several inches of slack. The adjuster was frozen in place. Some people should not own saws. You probably saved your seller's life!
I really dont think he knew what he had. He said he traded a trailer for it. Or it may be hot. Who knows. Just got to keep it away from the dealer. Lol.

What size chain and bar are you guys using on them. I would like to switch it over to a 3/8 chain so it would match my other saw. Its has a 16" .325 on it.

Id stick with the .325 on the 550xp. Id run the loop thats on the saw right now through the grinder and go out and cut. I fined the .325 chain to be a good cutting chain, it dosent get caught up it the round much and it goes through the oak well.
I have cut side by side with my brother who runs a 3/8s chain and a sthil.the 550xp will.cut through faster

After all your guys advice, I believe I will keep the .325 chain on it. It is only a 50cc saw. I will just get a 18" or 20" bar. May try to find a light weight bar for it

I got a new 543XP a few weeks ago and it came with .325 pitch chain and it works good and it cuts fast with sharp full chisel chain. I found a deal on eBay for 6 new .325 16" full chisel chains for $51 shipped and so far they’re great chains to cut with. Something out of Australia.

I actually got to finally go cut with the little husky today. I know it's been about 6 months since I bought it. I am impressed. Light and well balanced. I did open the muffler up a bit. The only thing I noticed it stumbles every once in a while accelerating off idle. It never bogs out, just a little thick up. I think it is a thing with husqvarna 550xp and 562xp