New to pellet stove, few issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rick123493

Dec 16, 2021
Upstate NY
Installed a new summer heat 1500 over the weekend. The appliance adapter is a terrible fit, had to use a high heat silicone to get it on snug. Every time I start the stove when it's cold I get e2 error. Restart and it works fine. If I don't restart it immediately it leaks alot of smoke through the airwash holes on the bottom. I don't much care for my house filled with smoke, anything I can do about this? I read around kind of sounds like people just deal with it.

Today, five days into use maybe 6 bags of pellets used, i find it had turned off on its own. Hopper still 3/4 full so I thought it's got to be a jam. Emptied hopper and vacuumed it out, not a jam. Pulled the back of unit off and I can see top auger is not turning anymore. Swapped the power wires from top to bottom motor, motor is shot. After 5 days? Wtf. Emailed the manufacturer(have not heard back from them yet), they should replace this no question asked correct?

Starting to think I should have just got a 2nd wood stove.

Needing silicone for the adapter to the exhaust is pretty standard. The other problems you're having suggest you got a lemon. Let us know of the manufacturer stands behind it.

Contacted the manufacturer, they asked for my info as well as the model and serial number. Get this, there's no serial number... on the plate where it should be stamped it's blank. Idk how there going to handle it. I understand if they are not willing without a serial, if that's the case this stoves going back to ace. Im pretty surprised with this experience, I did alot of research before pulling the trigger on this stove and this was practically the only one that had consistently good reviews.

Contacted the manufacturer, they asked for my info as well as the model and serial number. Get this, there's no serial number... on the plate where it should be stamped it's blank. Idk how there going to handle it. I understand if they are not willing without a serial, if that's the case this stoves going back to ace. Im pretty surprised with this experience, I did alot of research before pulling the trigger on this stove and this was practically the only one that had consistently good reviews.
ACE should take it back, as long as you have your receipt.

Reactions: Washed-Up
So an update, I got a cheap amazon motor while I waited for the one from the manufacturer, that's working fine now. I still have an issue with needing to restart the unit sometimes 3 times or more to stop getting the e2 error. Once it's going zero problems. At least five times now I got smoke pouring out the airwash holes and today out the top of the hopper as well. Augers turning just fine, it seems like the exhaust motor just stops pulling air and it escapes any way it can.

What should I do with this thing? Should I go through the trouble of getting a replacment? I did a damn near professional job installing everything. I run it out of pellets every 2 days and vacuum it out top to bottom. Just can't seem to get the hang of starting this thing without problems.

I was just at an auction yesterday where they sold a nice looking used one of these... I think it went for $525.

If they're going to give you a new stove, I'd take it and try it. If it's still crap then see if you can get your money back and buy something else... Unfortunately nicer stoves are going to cost you more.

How is the stove piped? Is the Outside Air Kit (OAK) installed? I've had E-2's before, but never had a smoke issue. My piping is up then out and I do have the OAK installed. As for the appliance adapter, I screwed and siliconed mine, yes it is a bad fit.

In regards to the Auger, Englander is a standup company, I can't imagine they'd give you a problem. Worse case, you might need to show them a receipt.

Getting back to your E-2 problem, if you start the stove with a handful of pellets in the pot, will it still give you the error? What RPM auger motor did you get? This stove uses a 1 RPM. Is the burnpot empty when you restart? I'm wondering if the igniter is either blocked or not far enough forward. Noodling this through...

Eric

Piping is up and out as well. All seems have metal tape and high temp silicone around adapter. I also used the OAK. I vacuum the burn pot before starting the unit. The auger in the unit now is oem from the manufacturer. I have tried adding a few pellets to the pot, it dosent seem like that's the problem. It lights with ease, burns just fine and then 20mins in it shuts off and I get E2. When I hit start again it starts burning almost immediately. It's as if the intake and exhaust just stop mid burn.

Even if your auger motor is OEM, I'd still check it. They have multiple stove lines that use different RPM motors.

However, given your ability to manually throw some pellets in the hopper and have them take off, I'm thinking you might have a problem with the thermocouple or something on the board. The thermocouple is the white clothed wired sensor that attaches to the back of the firebox. I know others have had problems with a hint of corrosion, myself included. A quick sanding solved the problem, I also added thermal paste like for a computer heat sink.

Can you confirm the model number being a 25 PDVC or some derivative?

Eric