New to Site Intro / Returning to Burning / Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GS Auto

Oct 3, 2021
Delmarva
Hi all! Glad to find this resource. Glad to be here.
I grew up with a stove & always loved it.. I was without a stove for many years but now in a house that has an open fireplace.. I despise it! I want to put a stove in its place.
My parents had 2 identical Kent stoves in 2 different homes & they performed superbly! They were freestanding North/South loading, airtight, glass door, secondary burn top chamber, all steel box stoves. Trimmed out in porcelain coated exoskeleton & offered a large grated cooktop.. I know, I know.. I'm getting a bit sentimental.. Although those stoves created an indelible impression along with the fact that we were the only house on the block with windows cracked open, us in tee shirts & shorts in middle of winter!! LOL

Fast forward to now,,, I need/want a stove to slide back into the existing hearth. Obviously needs to be an East/West loading to avoid extending past he existing hearth.. I do want: Non-CAT/airtight, glass door, free stand (unless good alternative pops up), & some cooktop space (if possible), & good airflow control (if possible). I have no objections to bare steel black box if it has what I want.

I have 5 cords of HW cut & split with another 5+ cords of full logs waiting for me to work on.. Alas, I've been away from the stove world long enough that I am unfamiliar with all the newer stove offerings & regs.

I don't have but 3 dealers that are local & they are all +/- an hours drive away. & I'm sure they all will only point me towards whatever line they currently sell.
So, I'm here asking for recommendations from the most knowledgeable for direction towards what I'm looking for.

I did come across a very local, lightly used EarthStove 1500HT that I'm hoping to go inspect soon. I have little knowledge on this stove short of: It's out of production & parts limited since '05? It looks nice in the pic's, yet that's not even close to verify its viability.

I will tremendously appreciate ANY advise put forth towards my endeavor & send many thanks in advance!

Have a Blessed Day!
George

Describe the existing hearth so that we know what is there to work with. Is this a very large fireplace? Is there a 6" flue or flue liner in place? If yes, how tall is it?

Describe the existing hearth so that we know what is there to work with. Is this a very large fireplace? Is there a 6" flue or flue liner in place? If yes, how tall is it?
The existing mantle opening is 40" wide. 38" tall in center & tapers down to 36 at outer edges creating a bit of an arch in the middle. The pipe is approx 13-14" to the center of pipe behind the face of the existing FP front. 6" chimney. . The hearth is raised about 4" off floor & extends about 18" from the front of the FP, covered in tile. Its situated in the corner of the room on the outside of the home.. & the pipe extends up close to the peak height. I didn't take the pipe apart yet but it looks to be std B-vent double walled / Non-insulated above the roofline.

It sounds like it may have been set up for gas or pellet stove. The B-went piping will need to come out. It is not usable for a wood stove which will require an insulated stainless liner in this location. Other than that the stove may fit. It will need a block-off plate in the damper area. I don't know the 1500HT's height, but typically they are around 30" tall. If the stove projects out of the fireplace then clearances to any combustibles (wood mantel sides and shelf) need to be honored.

It sounds like it may have been set up for gas or pellet stove. The B-went piping will need to come out. It is not usable for a wood stove which will require an insulated stainless liner in this location. Other than that the stove may fit. It will need a block-off plate in the damper area. I don't know the 1500HT's height, but typically they are around 30" tall. If the stove projects out of the fireplace then clearances to any combustibles (wood mantel sides and shelf) need to be honored.
Understood.. The home, it seems , only had the builder grade FP installed for aesthetic purposes only.. Now I want to upgrade to a real heat source. I have no issues upgrading the pipe to SS insulated along with extending the hearth (within limits/space available).. Mainly looking for good recommendations on good performing & well supported stove equipment.

So you have a zero clearance fireplace w/ air cooled chimney?

So you have a zero clearance fireplace w/ air cooled chimney?
Please forgive my ignorance in any terms. If I read you right, no, the fire place is set in a corner. the mantle & wall extends further than the opening measurements I've provided & set out more than I can measure from the corner (at least 2') than I can measure without fully disassembling the FP.. I feel pretty good its installed per code at the time of build. The pipe is double walled non-insulated galvanized.
I'm looking at options & opinions on equipment that might fit in my space.

Welcome!

Where are you? I drive between MA and OBX five times a year. Just drove north on the 26th.

Roughly 15 miles north west of OC - MD
On the Delmarva Peninsula. Near Cape-May Lewes Ferry
Used to spend summers out there when I was a lad.

Can you post some pictures of the current setup? Do you have the make and model # of the fireplace? If not, look around the door frame area for a metal ID tag.

Used to spend summers out there when I was a lad.

Can you post some pictures of the current setup? Do you have the make and model # of the fireplace? If not, look around the door frame area for a metal ID tag.
So, over the weekend I scored an Earth Stove 1500HT, used but in very good condition. The owner was remodeling & needed it gone ASAP. Offered it to me for half his original ask price if it was moved same day.
$350 & it has the optional blower kit. It appears to be very lightly used. Now for the installation after I tear out the FP.

Please post some pictures of the current fireplace so that we can verify this will work and provide better guidance.

20211012_082957.jpg

.... I need to side with your wife...LOL..that mantle is BEAUTIFUL!

Now, if it was only up to me, I would tear out the entire corner & set the stove. My wife does not want to sacrifice the mantle.
She may need to see it go. That looks like a zero-clearance fireplace and probably will not accept a stove. Even if it did, clearances would be an issue. Do you know the make and model of this fireplace? It should be on a tag in the door channel.

It's an older ZC. I am having a tough time reading the full model number due to the charring. Can you provide it?

It seems like for your want, the choices are to completely remove it and start from scratch there or to pick another location in the house where a freestanding stove can be set up and keep the fireplace for ambient burning .

Last edited:
I'm already planning & making preparations to completely remove the FP. make whatever mods needed to pipes & the cavity where the FP is now & set the stove in its place.