new to stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moon36

Nov 25, 2008
I just bought a house with a Hearth Mate stove in the basement. It has coal in it? It also loks like there are pieces of concrete in it as well? Where can I find the model #? It looks like it is hooked up ok but what do i need to do BEFORE firing it up? thx

There was a stove a long time ago called a Hearth Mate. It was a wood & coal burner. I don't know much of anything else about them. Could the "pieces of concrete" be firebrick, or what's left of the firebrick? It was a firebrick-lined stove, so far as I can tell. I'm assuming this is a freestanding stove, not an insert. Info & parts might be tough to come by. See if you can find any sort of label on the stove, especially on the back, you might glean some more identifying information. Rick

moon36 said:
.....what do i need to do BEFORE firing it up? thx

You need to know that the stove is in good repair. You need to know that your chimney is up to code and clean. You need to know more about the stove so that proper operation is obtained (thats not intended as a snotty remark, I just don't know how to re-word it). You need to know the number to a good sweep/inspector to double check anything that you don't feel comfortable in doing.

That will get ya in the right direction. A manual for the stove would be golden, also.

And welcome to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.