New to the forum - Planning to install a log burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yonny33

Feb 9, 2021
Uruguay
Hi all,

Just joined the forum. Hope you are all doing fine.

We have a 12 year old open fireplace (we bought the house 2 years ago).
Just had the chimney swept as it was filthy. Also, all the old heat-reflective bricks were in bad shape, most falling off or just filthy.

We've made a decision to install a large wood burning stove like the Bosca Gold 450.
I've started the prep work of removing the old bricks. Also planning to remove the thick 18cm hearth as it is too high to fit the stove we want. We'll have a new hearth 1 or 2 cm high instead.

One issue I have is that the top of the chimney shares a heavy concrete slab with the nieghbours chimney.
I'm not sure yet how we are going to install the exit pipes from the stove.
Possibly deepen one of the side vents and have 2 x 45 degree bends to exit the side leaving the top slab in place?
Cutting it may crack the slab and affect our neighbours structure.
Or possibly just a 90degree pipe a the top of the chimney then out the side then another 90 degree bend pointing up? Maybe this is the best solution imo.

I'll need to design a register plate also. I'll look for some technicians advice but we do not know anyone yet and there are a lot of unskilled so-called installers out there.
I am very handy and am contemplating installing it myself but will need lots of advice and knowledge first.

I read that aluminium may be a good choice for the register plate due to the thermal properties. Easy to work with also

Some photos attached.

estufa.jpg IMG_20210209_095845.jpg IMG_20210209_095915.jpg Screenshot_20210209_093659.jpg bosca.png

Last edited:
Could I get away with using the existing chimney with just a good register plate and 1 meter of stainless steel piping that exits the plate directly into the chimney instead of having the piping(lining) all the way up?

It will be a double combustion stove so I assume the smoke will be a little cleaner.
Or would all the soot accumulate on top of the register plate over the years? I can make an inspection hole I assume on the register plate to inspect it now and then.

Or even just a lining upwards as far as it will reach just a foot below the concrete top?

Thanks

Last edited: