New to Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snipersdad

Jan 8, 2013
I just installed an Amnity Woodstove and it works great. However I looked outside and the 6 inch double wall pipe has some brown substance dripping off the cap. Can anyone let me know what this may be caused from. I run it pretty hot, usually around 500 to heat the house. Then durung the day we run it around 350. It goes up and down each time we load it but try to stay as close as we can to the same temperature. ANy suggestions would be welcome

I'll be the first to ask, how's your wood? Is it well seasoned with moisture content less than 22%? Wet wood puts a lot of creosote in the flue. Do you have an external flue? Is it insulated? An un-insulated flue lets the vapors in the exhaust gas cool as they travel up the flue, condensing on the sides of the flue and then dripping down.

First, get a moisture meter and check fresh splits to see the moisture content of your wood. If it is properly seasoned wood then describe your setup and the people around here will be glad to offer suggestions...

KaptJaq

Reactions: schlot
I'll be the first to ask, how's your wood? Is it well seasoned with moisture content less than 22%? Wet wood puts a lot of creosote in the flue. Do you have an external flue? Is it insulated? An un-insulated flue lets the vapors in the exhaust gas cool as they travel up the flue, condensing on the sides of the flue and then dripping down.

First, get a moisture meter and check fresh splits to see the moisture content of your wood. If it is properly seasoned wood then describe your setup and the people around here will be glad to offer suggestions...

KaptJaq

Welcome aboard! Jaq has great points.If you don't have a moisture meter (MM) take a listen to your wood as it burns. Is it hissing and boiling off water?

Status
Not open for further replies.