New to us stove burn temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanH0802

Nov 29, 2015
Collins, Iowa
We just installed a new to us wood stove. We have no clue on the brand because we can't find any label on it but on google search it looks like an Century brand stove. It has the standard 5-6 inch legs on it with glass in the door. You can't see the flue pipe from inside the stove since there is a steel plate with small holes drilled in it and the smoke seems to travel to the front of the stove before going up to what looks like a open space towards the front of the burn box. We got a temp gauge and followed the directions and placed it on the flue pipe about a foot above the stove. We have tried everything we can to get the temp into the green but it just stays around 200F zone. We have moved the temp gauge to the side of the stove and it's right around 340F for the temp which is in the green. Are we doing something wrong here or is that just how this model is designed?

Single wall or double wall stove pipe?

I don't know what kind of stove you have but with the plate it does appear to have secondary burn system. If you are new to wood stoves start with the sticky at the top of the forum page that says start here. First and foremost that's a magnetic thermometer so if it's double wall stove pipe you will not get an accurate temp reading off the pipe without a probe style thermometer. Second it's looks from the picture that you logs are/were smoldering pretty good. Possibly from turning air down too much too fast or from too much moisture in the wood.

Lol sorry didn't see your reply before I posted.

The flame looks lackluster. The most common issue with a new stove is trying to burn wood that is not fully seasoned. Damp wood will burn cool. Try mixing in some 2x4 cutoffs with the next fire and see it that raises the stove temp.

Reactions: RyanH0802
This is current burn
image.jpg

+1 to that. If your not sure about moisture content of wood get yourself a moisture meter. Your shooting for 20 percent or under you would be surprised at the wood that looks nice and dry and still has really high moisture content. I know some of the veteran members say you can do it by sound of hitting 2 peices together but I'm not at that level yet lol. I also will add to begreens above comment don't use treated lumber.

Yes, use untreated, interior stud cutoffs.

Ryan, the fire looks ok, but not great. Add some known dry wood like the 2x4 cutoffs or get some tested dry wood to compare. Maybe try some firewood bundles from the local hardware store?

Status
Not open for further replies.