New to wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodboiler_Newbie

Jan 7, 2021
Monkton, VT
Hello all, I have recently moved into a house with an ATTACK DP Profi wood boiler with software from "No Fossil". This is the first time having any type of wood boiler, I am in need of guidance and any advice that this forum can offer.

First question I have is: What is the start up sequence of building the first fire?

Hello all, I have recently moved into a house with an ATTACK DP Profi wood boiler with software from "No Fossil". This is the first time having any type of wood boiler, I am in need of guidance and any advice that this forum can offer.

First question I have is: What is the start up sequence of building the first fire?

I have couple installs with Attack DPXL 45 boilers. Mine have the lambda option so the control on the front panel is different. The start a fire procedure should be very similar with the only real difference being the button you push to start the boiler (turns on draft fan and starts circulator pump from boiler to storage (assuming you have storage).
I've attached the Attack manual which should cover your boiler, also in my signature I've got a link to my you tube channel which has several start up videos.

Before building a fire however in a unfamiliar system, I would be sure to understand how things are supposed to work, check water level and system pressure, make sure the boiler to storage or load circulator turns on when the boiler start button is pushed, and also go through the cleaning procedure in the attached manual.

I'm not sure what the no-fossil software does, some temperature monitoring perhaps or controls for different zones? Anyway I can't help you there.

Attachments

• Instructions-for-use-Attack-DPX-en.pdf
    10.5 MB · Views: 124
Reactions: Woodboiler_Newbie
I retired from my full-time job a few years back and have been busy with my controls business and consulting business. I think I had more spare time before I retired. Still running my 15(!) year old Eko with the latest and greatest version of the venerable NoFossil Control System.

Reactions: Case1030
Good to see you here Nofossil, I was inspired by your discussions of you EKO 25 and ended up buying one my self and using your Simplest Boiler Storage System modified to fit my needs and am on my 13th season using it.

Thanks, Jeff. I actually have an improved version of the 'Simplest Storage' system that I need to finish up and post to replace the existing sticky thread in this forum.

Back when I posted the original, I was swimming upstream against the 'Primary / Secondary Loop' approach that was very popular at the time. My issue with primary/secondary loop systems is that they don't lend themselves to maintaining high levels of thermal stratification in storage.

Since then, John Siegenthaler and others have embraced the virtues of stratification and the supply/return approach in 'simplest storage' is better appreciated.

Sorry Woodboiler_Newbie - didn't mean to turn this into the NoFossil retirement home lounge...

If anyone else has guidance or links that discuss fire starting and tending in gasification boilers with forced draft, I think that's what the OP is looking for. The Attack boiler has a blower that pulls exhaust from the boiler and blows it out the flue.

Us Eko owners don't have forced draft so our fire starting is different. I don't know the interaction of the bypass damper and the exhaust fan during startup, for instance. 3fordasho's post has links to some videos that are great, but more explanation and examples might be helpful.

Reactions: Woodboiler_Newbie
I have couple installs with Attack DPXL 45 boilers. Mine have the lambda option so the control on the front panel is different. The start a fire procedure should be very similar with the only real difference being the button you push to start the boiler (turns on draft fan and starts circulator pump from boiler to storage (assuming you have storage).
I've attached the Attack manual which should cover your boiler, also in my signature I've got a link to my you tube channel which has several start up videos.

Before building a fire however in a unfamiliar system, I would be sure to understand how things are supposed to work, check water level and system pressure, make sure the boiler to storage or load circulator turns on when the boiler start button is pushed, and also go through the cleaning procedure in the attached manual.

I'm not sure what the no-fossil software does, some temperature monitoring perhaps or controls for different zones? Anyway I can't help you there.

Thank you for the info! I've just successfully built my first fire int he boiler and it is slowly..... very slowly heating up the 800 gallon storage. It's going to take some time to learn about the timing and how much wood to use but I'm very excited to be using it.