New to wood burning stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

c.otton

Oct 12, 2022
Maryland
I recently purchased a house and it came with a sears wood stove. Like I said im new to this only time I burnt wood was whilst camping. I have no idea what I'm doing and or if this thing is even safe with how it was installed. If anyone could assist I would really appreciate it.

16656215563015509431580138100025.jpg 16656216021065202675642680167198.jpg

Is there a UL label on the stove that lists clearances and hearth protection requirements? The hearth pad appears to be inadequate. If there is no UL label or testing documentation, then the stove is considered unlisted and the clearances may also be inadequate.

Is there a UL label on the stove that lists clearances and hearth protection requirements? The hearth pad appears to be inadequate. If there is no UL label or testing documentation, then the stove is considered unlisted and the clearances may also be inadequate.
No there's nothing on it anywhere other then what's written on the door as far as I can tell. All that says is " sears do not use grate or elevate fire - build fire directly on hearth"

Looks like the horizontal pipe run is angled down to the crock? Could create draft issues. Probably a good idea to hire a certified sweep to inspect the whole system.

Looks like the horizontal pipe run is angled down to the crock? Could create draft issues. Probably a good idea to hire a certified sweep to inspect the whole system.
We had one come and inspect it and clean it to make sure if was "safe to use" he said it was in good working oder but that we needed those metal hearth things for the walls

Reactions: Todd
I am terribly sorry to hijack this thread. I also recently purchased a home with this style of wood stove.
How does this door latch? I have the handle, but no means of latching or locking the door closed. The door is fairly heavy, and unlikely to open, but I don't want to leave it unattended if a log could fall into the door and open it inadvertently.
20221124_201305.jpg20221124_221337.jpg

Looks like you both have the same stove. Door latch is at the top and if it latches I don't see how it could be forced open by a piece of firewood.
Both stoves are just pretty generic steel plate stoves. Hard to tell from the pics if the door has a gasket or a place for one. Burning a stove like that is pretty simple and burning it slow by turning down the air intake will create creosote, so you'll have to check and clean chimney. They work well for what they are, I've had one like it in the past made at a local welding shop. Looks like @robertjpjr has a good cleanout at the bottom of the chimney. If @c.otton your chimney is good and you have cleanout you should be good to go.

I appreciate the reply Eman85. I am looking for a photo or a part number for the missing latch for the door. It seems I am unable to message @c.otton directly? If anyone knows how to properly latch the door for this stove, I'd appreciate the guidance!

@robertjpjr After looking at your pics closer to me it looks like all you have is a shaft sticking out the back. I'd say you could fabricate a piece to latch the door. Maybe @c.otton will follow up and show a pic of the inside of his door.

I appreciate the reply Eman85. I am looking for a photo or a part number for the missing latch for the door. It seems I am unable to message @c.otton directly? If anyone knows how to properly latch the door for this stove, I'd appreciate the guidance!
1669422116668.png

maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry been busy when I get home ill post a picture. It looks like you're missing the 2 arms that swing out and go into the sides to seal it