New to wood stove. Going basement route and could use some advice on sizing/brands.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Judge80

Aug 23, 2022
Midwest
I’ve got a company 2.5 hours away willing to do the install and they ordered a King 40 in June that wasn’t spoken for yet so I am putting a deposit on it. They’re going to come do a consult/inspection to get me a proper quote in October. Kinda pumped and hope everything works out okay for my chase being insulated, etc.

ChCLAstro

Oct 21, 2022
Ontario Canada
We were in the same decision tree last year. Our home is an 1800 sq ft basement and 1800 sf main floor, with a fully insulated (exterior wall) basement. Our basement has a walk-out for bringing in wood. The home insulation is R50, located in Ontario Canada. Last winter, our coldest night was -34C (-30F), with several 3-4 night stretches of -27C.

We settled on a Pacific Energy Summit LE, with the fan / blower option, in the basement. Burn only hardwood, primarily seasoned Ash, with some maple and elm. The Summit has been fantastic, heating the entire house by convection to the upstairs.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
We settled on a Pacific Energy Summit LE, with the fan / blower option, in the basement. Burn only hardwood, primarily seasoned Ash, with some maple and elm. The Summit has been fantastic, heating the entire house by convection to the upstairs.
How do basement temps compare with upstairs?
Last winter, our coldest night was -34C (-30F), with several 3-4 night stretches of -27C.
Is that all? :)

ChCLAstro

Oct 21, 2022
Ontario Canada
Initially, takes some time for the basement to come up to temperature. Then the upstairs warms via convection.
The delta between basement and upstairs is around 5 deg C once stabilized. We keep the upstairs around 20C, the downstairs 25C.

HarryKolos

Nov 8, 2022
Pacific NW
I’ve got a company 2.5 hours away willing to do the install and they ordered a King 40 in June that wasn’t spoken for yet so I am putting a deposit on it. They’re going to come do a consult/inspection to get me a proper quote in October. Kinda pumped and hope everything works out okay for my chase being insulated, etc.
Any updates? I’m in a similar situation with your setup, and have been following your thread. Did you end up installing the King40? What did the dealer recommend after seeing your setup?

Judge80

Aug 23, 2022
Midwest
Any updates? I’m in a similar situation with your setup, and have been following your thread. Did you end up installing the King40? What did the dealer recommend after seeing your setup?
My chase will not fit the 8” required for a king 40 so I went with a Princess with parlor legs. Install is next week!

Judge80

Aug 23, 2022
Midwest
First fire of the year and ever, with my new Princess!

C38FD002-2AFF-41BF-84FE-90788A6B9CC3.jpeg