New to wood stoves need Tempwood info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CarvaahGuy

Oct 21, 2018
Carver Ma
Hi just signed up for the forums and doing some research on m stove that was here when I moved in. Current status is I own a Temp wood stove and I'm looking to be able to fire it up for the first time since moving in. I'm getting the chimney cleaned this week and I cleaned out the stove and inspected it. I did notice one of the 4 fire bricks were cracked and I believe they should be replaced. I'm not even sure where to start with replacement fire stones as I haven't been able to find much info on Temp wood stoves as they are out of business.

I also wanted to remove the surface rust on the top of the stove. Whats the best way to go about this as bring it outside for a repaint isn't an option at the moment. I was reading about using a low odor paste to bring back the black or metal color. Any suggestions? Thanks

Joe White who was gearing up to build updated versions of the Tempwood used to participate on the forum. He hasn't stopped by since 2012. But since he publicly posted his name and phone number here I don't feel it is a problem to post it.

413-743-0022

Since they made their own firebrick you won't find any for sale anywhere. And since it is a downdraft gasifier stove it would be a really good idea to find a manual for operation. I looked around here and online for one with no success..

Calling @pen. Didn't you have a Tempwood at some point? from what I recall this is a pretty basic stove and not too hard to run. I have a friend back east that had one if you can't find info. I think they just got a good hot kindling fire going, then dropped in some dry splits.

Sorry, have not run one.

Thanks for the replies I sent Joe a PM I will see if he answers. I wasn't sure about the fire bricks but I know a cracked one should be replaced I'll keep searching.