New toy...Makita 6401

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
smokinjay said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Jutt77 said:
Singed Eyebrows" date="1297956260 said:
You are probably going to take off a high quality German Mahle Nikasil cylinder & piston assembly & put on a China piston & Cyl. with the big bore kit. Check into the quality of the cylinder, those aftermarket ones vary a lot, Randy

Its running so well now I may not replace the cylinder/piston until I have to but thats something good to keep in mind.
The 6401 is probably going to be my next saw, I think it's tough to find something of higher quality at that price, Randy

Its all an illusion....
As seen through orange glasses Jay? Randy

LOL No there all going to be around the same price no matter what you try to do. No Issues on a Dolmar Husky or stihl....All said and done there all about the same price per cc. All try to make you think there's is the better deal (Just a little differant cc line ups) . Quality pro saw are all in the same ball park.
Jay, I thought the Stihls were way more money, equal cc. I gotta check into that. I know a few years ago Dolmar's were really cheap, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
smokinjay said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
smokinjay said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Jutt77" date="1297994812 said:
Singed Eyebrows" date="1297956260 said:
You are probably going to take off a high quality German Mahle Nikasil cylinder & piston assembly & put on a China piston & Cyl. with the big bore kit. Check into the quality of the cylinder, those aftermarket ones vary a lot, Randy

Its running so well now I may not replace the cylinder/piston until I have to but thats something good to keep in mind.
The 6401 is probably going to be my next saw, I think it's tough to find something of higher quality at that price, Randy

Its all an illusion....
As seen through orange glasses Jay? Randy

LOL No there all going to be around the same price no matter what you try to do. No Issues on a Dolmar Husky or stihl....All said and done there all about the same price per cc. All try to make you think there's is the better deal (Just a little differant cc line ups) . Quality pro saw are all in the same ball park.
Jay, I thought the Stihls were way more money, equal cc. I gotta check into that. I know a few years ago Dolmar's were really cheap, Randy

Dolmar a good saw but your not going to save anything over a stihl or husky. All three makers are very close in price. Now black market big bores kit and all that crazy stuff not talking about that (still about the same money though cc vs dollar bills lol). For now I am Talking new saws only bought from a dealership.

CodyWayne718 said:
Pics please :cheese:

Here she is. The bar is in rough shape but its replacement will be here on Monday from Baileys:) This thing fires right up on the 2nd or 3rd pull everytime and runs like a top. I cant wait to try it out with a new sharp chain.

The bumper spikes double as a bear trap too...its a multi tasker:)

6401.jpg

Bar may be worn, but the powerhead looks pretty good! I think you did mighty fine on that one. ;-)

Beetle-Kill said:
Bar may be worn, but the powerhead looks pretty good! I think you did mighty fine on that one. ;-)

Thanks BK! Might see ya up there in Evergreen next weekend man...going pawnshop cruizin this weekend, I'll keep my eyes open

Looks real good, eventually I'll wind up with one too, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.