New User, Old Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly Matt

Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2009
N. Michigan
Hi,

I have a few questions for all of you who have been using woodstoves for, most likely, longer than I have been alive :) I recently purchased an older home that has a Blaze King wood insert. I have used it several times and it seems to usually function correctly, and puts off a large amount of heat. I have also spent some on these forums and I am now roughly familiar with operating a woodstove and the difference between woodstoves generally...i.e. cat, non-cat.

I am not sure exactly what model the Blaze King is, but it does have KFF 41276 stamped on to its side if that does anything for anyone. It is also more than twenty years old and is a non-catylytic stove. It is basically a box, with a door, a thermostat mounted on the cover of the damper on the right side, and a lever on the right side controlling the flue damper.

My questions are:

(1) There is a lever on the right side that controls the 3'' by approx 3' damper at the back/top of the stove. It has three seperate positions: closed (although it does not appear to be airtight), vertical, and 45 degrees. What position should I be burning in?

(2) The gasket on the door seems to be old and, when the closing the door and turning the dual handles, it seems to "suck in" some but one handle has a lot of play in it while it is closed. I am assuming I need a new rope. Can I just buy a generic rope for this like at Tractor Supply, for instance?

(3) Usually when I run the stove, the temperature quickly (within thirty minutes) reaches 600 on the griddle (rutland thermostat) and then backs off a hundred or so and will hold that temperature for several hours. One the temperature reaches 600 or so, the damper (controlled by a bi metallic springy thing) closes up, although not completely. I am assuming this is the proper operation. The thermostat is basically just a dial with six circles on it. These temperatures are achieved with the thermostat in the middle.

However, a few times, the temperature climbs and climbs without the damper closing on its own. The other day, the griddle temperature was slightly over 700 and climbing and I had to manually adjust the thermostat to get the damper to close up. Is this a bad thermostat? Or have to do with the rope gasketing interfering with the thermostat?

Thanks for any help,
Matt

Hello Matt,

The only one I can help you with is the gasket. NO you cannot buy a generic gasket at Tractor Supply without first knowing the size you need, i.e. 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 etc. You also need to know if it is a flat (tape) gasket or a rope type gasket. Once you know the size, type AND length, then you can see if Tractor Supply has what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.