New utility-level storage battery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Form has developed an iron-air battery that they claim will provide power for 100 hrs at a cost of below $20/kWh. It is scheduled to go into real-world trials in 2023 with the production goal of 2025. The battery is much too heavy for cars and trucks, but it could provide the solution necessary for longer term storage and release of renewable power.

Interesting, and could be big. Of course simply removing the oxygen won't reduce the oxide. That's where charging (power) comes in.

I'm always a bit skittish about powdered metals though. Big explosions etc. So indeed not a small system, so that proper safety engineering is possible.

Interesting, and could be big. Of course simply removing the oxygen won't reduce the oxide. That's where charging (power) comes in.

I'm always a bit skittish about powdered metals though. Big explosions etc. So indeed not a small system, so that proper safety engineering is possible.
I think they said they are using iron metal balls or pellets. They are in an electrolyte solution. Here's another article on the Form battery.

and Form's website:

But that slows things as oxygen iron reactions happen fast at the surface. Having to have oxygen diffuse into pellets is slow and likely results in not reaching theoretical capacity.

On the other hand, they thought about it more than I have ...

I'm confused. The utilitydive article said they are using iron pellets, but Form's website shows a large iron electrode. Pellets would offer a much larger surface area so that makes some sense.

I'm confused. The utilitydive article said they are using iron pellets, but Form's website shows a large iron electrode. Pellets would offer a much larger surface area so that makes some sense.

yes, that was the reasoning for my brain immediately thinking of powders. I guess the only way to find out what really happens (b/c "powders" may be poor marketing, but pellets less so, while both are ill-defined) is to look up their patents.

I am just worried that its early phase bait for some SPAC to snap up. SPACs of late are getting a real bad rep for crashing and burning after going public due to crappy disclosure with no hope of cash flow.

Here is a short video on the Form battery technology.

Sounds good. Not enough for me to put some of my retirement money in, but good nonetheless.

I wonder how this compares to the competing concept of flow batteries.

Also, I had to smirk a bit about the "acre with tens of thousands of batteries" providing 1 MWh storage. Volumetrically nice. BUT... Why put the solar farm on another acre next to it rather than on that acre big flat roof ...
Marketing imagery.

Sounds good. Not enough for me to put some of my retirement money in, but good nonetheless.

I wonder how this compares to the competing concept of flow batteries.

Also, I had to smirk a bit about the "acre with tens of thousands of batteries" providing 1 MWh storage. Volumetrically nice. BUT... Why put the solar farm on another acre next to it rather than on that acre big flat roof ...
Marketing imagery.
Yes, that is a logical and practical way to install with a lower footprint.