New Vermont Castings Encore Flex Fuel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twier

Feb 27, 2020
Webster WI
Opinions please!

I am getting a bid to rebuild my 40 year old 1977 Vigilant. If the cost is not economically feasible we like the new Vermont Castings Encore Flex Fuel mainly because of the looks and top loading feature. But the reviews are not good.

Our use of a stove is not heavy duty:

Wisconsin cabin kept at 50 degrees with a furnace. We never turn the furnace above 50.
We spend about 12-15 days a month there year round
We use the Vigilant full time when we are there to supplement the furnace (works great for us)
Burn about 1 1/2 cords a winter

Do you guys think a new Encore will be a pain in the keister for us as many of the reviews state?

Thanks

Last edited:
Opinions please!

I am getting a bid to rebuild my 40 year old 1977 Vigilant. If the cost is not economically feasible we wanted like the new Vermont Castings Encore Flex Fuel mainly because of the looks and top loading feature. But the reviews are not good.

Our use of a stove is not heavy duty:

Wisconsin cabin kept at 50 degrees with a furnace. We never tun the furnace above 50.
We spend about 12-15 days a month there year round
We use the Vigilant full time when we are there to supplement the furnace (works great for us)
Burn about 1 1/2 cords a winter

Do you guys think a new Encore will be a pain in the keister for us as many of the reviews state?

Thanks
They are better than many of their previous models but still pretty far behind most other stoves on the market when it comes to durability in my opinion.

For the price you can do better, top-loading is not a necessity and overrated. That said, you are not putting a lot of hours on the stove so it could go much longer between servicing than average. For an alternative look at the Hearthstone Manchester or Jotul F500.

Reactions: webby3650
For the price you can do better, top-loading is not a necessity and overrated. That said, you are not putting a lot of hours on the stove so it could go much longer between servicing than average. For an alternative look at the Hearthstone Manchester or Jotul F500.
Top loading over rated sez who. I wouldn't be without it!

The vast majority of woodstove users. Almost every top loader makes serious compromises in durability and serviceability in order to have that feature.

How many stoves have you had to replace in the last 15 or so years again?

Reactions: webby3650
Have owned both. After owning the original Resolute, for years I swore that I only wanted a top loader, thermostatic stove. Trouble is the choices were slim and not the best. Then I lusted for an Isle Royale, but clearance requirements wouldn't work. So we've been burning for a couple decades with front loaders and quite frankly it's been fine. In some ways even better when one includes N/S loading.

Have owned both. After owning the original Resolute, for years I swore that I wanted only a top loader, thermostatic stove. Trouble is the choices were slim and not the best. Then I lusted for an Isle Royale, but clearance requirements wouldn't work. So we've been burning for a couple decades with front loaders and quite frankly it's been fine. In some ways even better when one includes N/S loading.
The isle royal was a good one. The mechanism looked complicated but I have yet to see a problem with one. Granted we only work on a few but still.

The isle royal was a good one. The mechanism looked complicated but I have yet to see a problem with one. Granted we only work on a few but still.
A lot of people use the stove as a front loader. Moderator Jags has had one for a long time. Haven't heard any complaints.

I have two VC stoves. One in my cabin and one in my house. I like both stoves and I am a fan of the top loader. However, my next stove will not be a VC or a top loader.

Reactions: bholler
Have both types. Toploader or front loader.....both work well.

Reactions: bholler