Replacing 30 year old Encore: New Encore or Jotul Oslo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hbob

Jan 20, 2024
Seattle
We have a 30+ year old Vermont Castings Encore. The catalyst was burned out and the previous owners modified so it cannot take a new one. It needs enough work that we would like to get a new stove. Old stove was 8” single wall flue and we would upgrade to insulated 6” on new stove. We do like many features of the Encore, like the front screen for “fireplace” use on occasion (I know the new stove is 6” and does not sell a screen anymore for open use due to potential draft concerns, but we would keep old screen and try it out). Although I know how to work the stove and have no issues with the babysitting it takes to light and run, I do have a big concern in having guests or my wife understand how to operate it. Catalytic stoves with damper do have learning curves. I have also concerns with over fire issues that I read about on this stove and it is likely the catalyst was removed by prior homeowner due to over fire damage and the back of the stove does show over fire damage. Our draft is appropriate for the stove.
We are looking at either a new Encore as we do like the top load, the look of the stove, the easy ash tray and the chance to use fireplace screen on occasion.
Our other choice is a Jotul Oslo…a very well built and attractive stove but also has no damper…just one air adjustment like pre-catalytic stoves. It also has a long warranty on its catalyst.
So…is the over fire issue a widespread problem, maybe just due to user error? The fact that it is fussy worries me about how safe it is with others using the stove.
The Vermont Castings is about $2000 (local sale) less than the Jotul, but safety and longevity are important. I also notice the fit and finish of the new Vermont Castings is not what it was in 1980’s. The cast iron looks the same, but the fit and finish of hinges and bolts look less, but more easily replaceable than the old ones.
I would love to hear from those of you who have experience with these 2024 era stoves, hopefully from a dealer with experience with both brands.
Hbob
Washington State

There is a lot of information on both stoves here in the Vermont Castings and Jotul forums. Of the two, the Jotul is the easier to use, but with some caveats. Based on reports, it tends to run hot. Both stoves have a cat that can be damaged by user error by burning something that contaminates it, or by thermal shock.

The fire screen option is seriously overrated. Most people try it out once or twice and then put it behind the stove where it gathers dust. If guests are possible frequent users of the stove or if the missus is not a veteran wood burner, my recommendation would be to go for a simpler, non-cat stove.

How large of an area will the stove be in? How tall is the flue system from stove top to chimney cap?

Last edited:
There is a lot of information on both stoves here in the Vermont Castings and Encore forums. Of the two, the Jotul is the easier to use, but with some caveats. Based on reports, it tends to run hot. Both stoves have a cat that can be damaged by user error by burning something that contaminates it, or by thermal shock.

The fire screen option is seriously overrated. Most people try it out once or twice and then put it behind the stove where it gathers dust. If guests are possible frequent users of the stove or if the missus is not a veteran wood burner, my recommendation would be to go for a simpler, non-cat stove.

How large of an area will the stove be in? How tall is the flue system from stove top to chimney cap?
We use the screen/fireplace mode once or twice a week for a few hours at a time. There is no guarantee a new VC would work with the screen with the reduction from 8-6” flue change. VC does not think so as they removed the option. We took our screen to the stove store and it fits the new VC too.

Our stack is about 16’ from top of stove to chimney cap. One reason we do use it is our glass is permanently frosted as I believe the previous owners cleaned it with the wrong product. So if we want to see fire we use the screen. A new stove of any make will have clean glass we will care for properly.
We really like the features of the VC (top load and screen use) but really like the quality feel of the Jotul. The fit and finish is really nice on the Jotul and the new VC does feel a little cheaper, especially when you compare the door latches. The stove is a major centerpiece in our living room, not in a corner, and both stoves look great.

I have the encore 2040. I can say this .. it does a great job of putting out heat. I heat my entire house with it and have done so for many years now. The stove looks fantastic and the top load is awesome. Having a catalytic stove is great because when you dont need as much heat you can turn it down low and still burn without having to open windows.

Yesterday morning was 13 degrees with a 25 to 30 mph wind and at no time did I feel like I needed to turn on my furnace my living room was a solid 72 degrees. I did a 12 hour burn this morning.. loaded my stove at 7pm last night and at 7am this morning its still going strong.

This is what you need to know going in.. Customer service isnt great.. so if you feel you need parts get on it early. The stove will eventually need service. This means taking it apart. After 7 years I just did my first partial rebuild of the stove.. I did a thread on it here. It wasn't super hard. Yo could do it over a weekend if you want to.. mine took longer because I didnt need the stove and I also touched up the paint

I knew all of this when I purchased the stove and im ok with it.. I purchased all of the parts I needed years ago for the rebuild.. so knowing all of this if your ok with that.. buy the stove.. I looked at other brands like jutul.. lopi, blazeking ect.. all good brands you cant go wrong with them

I have the encore 2040. I can say this .. it does a great job of putting out heat. I heat my entire house with it and have done so for many years now. The stove looks fantastic and the top load is awesome. Having a catalytic stove is great because when you dont need as much heat you can turn it down low and still burn without having to open windows.

Yesterday morning was 13 degrees with a 25 to 30 mph wind and at no time did I feel like I needed to turn on my furnace my living room was a solid 72 degrees. I did a 12 hour burn this morning.. loaded my stove at 7pm last night and at 7am this morning its still going strong.

This is what you need to know going in.. Customer service isnt great.. so if you feel you need parts get on it early. The stove will eventually need service. This means taking it apart. After 7 years I just did my first partial rebuild of the stove.. I did a thread on it here. It wasn't super hard. Yo could do it over a weekend if you want to.. mine took longer because I didnt need the stove and I also touched up the paint

I knew all of this when I purchased the stove and im ok with it.. I purchased all of the parts I needed years ago for the rebuild.. so knowing all of this if your ok with that.. buy the stove.. I looked at other brands like jutul.. lopi, blazeking ect.. all good brands you cant go wrong with them
Wood splitter,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the stove. I guess my question is different from others wanting to decide on different brands as I have a lot of experience with the Encore which is my list of new options. The stove we have was rebuilt some time ago by the previous owner and it in need of it again now. We would consider a rebuild but it needs a lot (glass, gaskets, the back asbestos panel and we want to switch to insulated pipe). And they installed a piece of sheet metal as a diverter where the catalyst should go, preventing the installation of a catalyst. My guess is they were burning out on them so they modified the stove to a non-catalytic using the diverter to direct heat the way the catalyst would have. So getting a new stove, on sale, with the federal rebate is much more attractive than dealing with the old stove.
My only concern about getting another VC Encore, is this issue of burning too hot and losing the catalyst prematurely. It seems to happen even with experienced users who instal digital thermometers to monitor the catalyst temperatures. I know a non=cat stove would be a solution to the problem, but we really like the look of the stoves on our list and it seems the catalytic stoves are the ones that the feds incentivize, which helps with the purchase.
How long is your catalyst lasting? Have you any tips on burning the VC safely beyond what the manual recommends? I think we have a good draft situation.
Bob

Wood splitter,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the stove. I guess my question is different from others wanting to decide on different brands as I have a lot of experience with the Encore which is my list of new options. The stove we have was rebuilt some time ago by the previous owner and it in need of it again now. We would consider a rebuild but it needs a lot (glass, gaskets, the back asbestos panel and we want to switch to insulated pipe). And they installed a piece of sheet metal as a diverter where the catalyst should go, preventing the installation of a catalyst. My guess is they were burning out on them so they modified the stove to a non-catalytic using the diverter to direct heat the way the catalyst would have. So getting a new stove, on sale, with the federal rebate is much more attractive than dealing with the old stove.
My only concern about getting another VC Encore, is this issue of burning too hot and losing the catalyst prematurely. It seems to happen even with experienced users who instal digital thermometers to monitor the catalyst temperatures. I know a non=cat stove would be a solution to the problem, but we really like the look of the stoves on our list and it seems the catalytic stoves are the ones that the feds incentivize, which helps with the purchase.
How long is your catalyst lasting? Have you any tips on burning the VC safely beyond what the manual recommends? I think we have a good draft situation.
Bob
Honestly I wouldn't choose either of your options especially if your main concern is reliability and ease of use. Yes the jotul has a long warranty on the cat. But it only covers the first one so after a couple years that doesn't matter.

Honestly I wouldn't choose either of your options especially if your main concern is reliability and ease of use. Yes the jotul has a long warranty on the cat. But it only covers the first one so after a couple years that doesn't matter.
Bholler,
What would you recommend ? What is out there with the looks of cast iron and reliable?

There used to be a lot more choices, but now just a handful. The Jotul F45 or F55 and the PE Alderlea line have a cast iron jacket around a steel stove. They look good, but are simple and stout non-cat stoves.

So to answer your questions.. I personally would not rebuild your existing stove..

Your stovepipe is only 16 which is close to the minimum so I don't see you overdraftinf the stove.. and if it start to I would ues a key damper slow things down.

Cats vary.. I switched to a steel cat which for me runs cooler and others have noticed it being more behaved also. The cats for these stove are not expensive something like 150 bucks.. ceramic gets brittle after a while.. they are extremely easy to replace and clean

Last edited:
Reactions: dafattkidd
Yes, though a more complex cat stove. Not sure how good it would be for guests to run.
A good reliable one. But yes a bit more complex and has a cat that can be damaged

There is also the Hearthstone Manchester, but...

So to answer your questions.. I personally would not rebuild your existing stove..

Your stovepipe is only 16 which is close to the minimum so I don't see you overdraftinf the stove.. and if it start to I would ues a key damper slow things down.

Cats vary.. I switched to a steel cat which for me runs cooler and others have noticed it being more behaved also. The cats for these stove are not expensive something like 150 bucks.. ceramic gets brittle after a while.. they are extremely easy to replace and clean
Woodsplitter67,
After reading as much as we can here and taking into account the things we like about our old Encore (30+ years) we ordered another Encore. We considered Jotul and Blaze King and even a new MF Fire Nova2. I will have to relearn a bit about how to operate since our catalyst was removed years ago. Do you have a good post here somewhere, or can you repeat, the best operating procedure for the stove? We will consume the new manual and we do have quite a bit of experience with the controls already. Just want to avoid the thermal runaway and damaging the catalyst. We are in Pacific Northwest maritime climate and the wood we have available is mostly fir/hemlock well seasoned. I think I have been splitting too much and may go with larger splits in the future.
Hbob
Washington State