New windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
The draft on my wood insert could be better. We are going to be getting new windows ( about 1/3 of the house now and then the rest in subsequent years. 1977 house with batt fiberglass in the walls and decent attic insulation ( has cellulose blown in a while ago.) The current windows are original to the house. They’re not terrible but a real pain to try to clean.
I’m wondering how new windows may impact the draft of wood insert. Aside from the cellulose in the attic, we have not done any other air sealing.
Thanks in advance

Doubt it will be much affected. My house built in '78 is decently insulated but poorly air sealed (as was the norm then). No house wrap, no foam sealant. Enough air comes in between the window & door frames and the rough framing.

Now as you continue to replace and if they use foam sealant it may start to be affected and cause some negative pressure. If that happens you could have a scuttle/makeup air installed on your furnace...

Reactions: stoveliker
Doubt it will be much affected. My house built in '78 is decently insulated but poorly air sealed (as was the norm then). No house wrap, no foam sealant. Enough air comes in between the window & door frames and the rough framing.

Now as you continue to replace and if they use foam sealant it may start to be affected and cause some negative pressure. If that happens you could have a scuttle/makeup air installed on your furnace...
Thanks for the input! They said that they will be using a foam sealant around the new windows. I don’t have a furnace. All electric heat. I have a pellet stove in basement but that has an outside air kit.

I can depend on what style of replacement windows you get. I have the inserts, every window in my 1968 ranch was replaced. I didn’t notice any difference. But my house was pretty leaky. My guess is that if a bathroom fan being on doesn’t affect the draft too much neither will new windows

I agree that unless you do air sealing, you probably will not see the difference. New windows rarely can be justified for energy audit purposes. Usually lots of air leaks built into the house.