New wood Furnace Install w/ Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a setup i guess very similar to yours.... i also wired my thermostat from the woodstove to my gas furnace (my buddy who is an electrician did it) so they would both go on at once to help the blower on the wood furnace to push more air..... before we did this the blower which is a 850 cfm wasn't pushing enough air through the house 3000 square foot house....so after we got the 2 blowers to come on at once it was moving enough air but the air wasn't hot any more...... i guess the gas blower was cooling the air down...... you have any problems like this????? i was told that my returns must have been sucking down too much cool air ..... so i was thinking about blocking of my bigger returns to experiment and run the supply from the wood furnace into the return of the gas furnace so that gas furnace would be sucking in and spitting out the hot air from the wood stove??? any thoughts on that ..... any advice would be appreciated

You don't want the central furnace to take in the hot air from the wood furnace into the cold air return. Doing this can result in damage to coils, or circuit boards in the furnaces. I have mine in series, you enlarge the hole in the woodfurnace on both return and supply. Then you run a duct from the plenum of the central furnace to the base of the woodfurnace. This could be the side on the bottom, or the back where the blower is installed. Then where the woodfurnace would have tied into the central furnaces plenum, it will now direct in the main trunk. There is no backflow this way. You eliminate your blower on the wood furnace, and you share the full ductwork in the home. Run a search, you should find alot of good info. If you have central air, or a heat pump, it will get a little more complicating. You would run a bypass for the summer time so you don't rust out your woodfurnace from the cold air, and the fall when you won't need the woodfurnace when its too warm.

No - but I can vary the "fan on" speed of my furnace blower. I run it on low which is supposed to be 500 CFM. Like Laynes said, I think that is a bad idea to do what you are thinking. Can you reduce the speed of your main furnace blower? Or what may work to just hook up a fan control in your main furnace plenum to only turn on that blower when the temperature is up.

lunk30 said:
I have a setup i guess very similar to yours.... i also wired my thermostat from the woodstove to my gas furnace (my buddy who is an electrician did it) so they would both go on at once to help the blower on the wood furnace to push more air..... before we did this the blower which is a 850 cfm wasn't pushing enough air through the house 3000 square foot house....so after we got the 2 blowers to come on at once it was moving enough air but the air wasn't hot any more...... i guess the gas blower was cooling the air down...... you have any problems like this????? i was told that my returns must have been sucking down too much cool air ..... so i was thinking about blocking of my bigger returns to experiment and run the supply from the wood furnace into the return of the gas furnace so that gas furnace would be sucking in and spitting out the hot air from the wood stove??? any thoughts on that ..... any advice would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.