New wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddw

Jan 30, 2014
Georgia
I just got to a stopping point on the new wood shed. It faces south and has woods on the west and north sides. Is the left side open enough or too much for stacked wood to dry? It'll be stacked on pallets.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 233
Your good to go, it has a roof, that is all that really matters, along with keeping everything off the ground.
The sides won't matter much, although I would have had the roof extend out a foot or so past the walls and opening, all the way around.

The roof is extended on the front and back but I was using metal left over from doing our roof and I mismeasured on the width. That's the great thing about it. The frame was a run-in in the horse pasture that we took down, the metal was left over and all the side wood was scraps from a friends sawmill so the only things I had to go buy was 3 bags of concrete and a box of screws. Will pallets be sufficient for stacking? I am undecided about which direction to stack, front to back or put up a brace next to the four wheeler and stack side to side. I think I'm going front to back.

Pallets will do fine.
Side to side.
Get the 4 wheeler out of there, and stack it full!

I now see that you want to keep your gear in there, too. Makes sense. I don't have sides on mine and everything has been drying superbly so far. I stack side to side, and I'm always ginning up some side support so I can stack wood into every nook and cranny. The irony will be that you don't need sides, but you'll want something strong so you can keep jamming splits in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.