New wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My house is a very not air tight double wide modular with r11 walls. Better than nothing , but I have been making more energy efficient upgrades every year. I do believe the biggest return is always efficiency.i have done attic insulation, air sealing, and doors. Not going to be done over night as I do it all myself. But what my top choices are based on is, number 1 is the one I absolutely want, and first choice, number 2 is the next choice with the dealer closest to me, and number 3 is the next closest dealer. That way I would give each dealer a chance for my business. I am glad to hear you have good luck with the stove. My only concern is drafting in my situation and area. I would need 18 +/- feet of chimney, and I live in a very windy location. I had to play around with my barometric damper to get it just right, and still play with it now. It's just about as open as it can go, but I'm right at the spec they recommend. I don't want to put a key damper in right away, but wonder if that would be best to do and not regret not putting one in.

And I'm not in a big hurry, so there is time. Now that winter is just about started, the concern is less on wasting so much wood. Almost to where I can fill the furnace, set it on low, and just enjoy the warmth. But having a wood stove would make it more enjoyable to sit and watch too. And I could leave the furnace on low a lot more if I had a stove upstairs too.

I had to play around with my barometric damper to get it just right, and still play with it now. It's just about as open as it can go, but I'm right at the spec they recommend

I had to add a washer or two to mine to get more weight on it to get my draft in spec. Don't be afraid to add some weight to yours, as long as you have something to check the draft with.

I do. I have the Dwyer merk 2 based on recommendations I found here. Biggest thing I added ths year was the auber washer temp unit this year.

I had a Fireview at my old house and absolutely loved it. The build quality and looks were amazing and I would not hesitate to reccommend a Woodstock stove. What about the Woodstock Keystone? It has a smaller Firebox than the Fireview but it would probably work fine for your application.

I have the VC C3. I like it. You can get it hot and keep it toasty, or run smaller fires for less heat. Burn times are not all that ideal, but I don’t stuff it full, so maybe you could get a bit more. On average, I can sleep 6 hrs and lose a few degrees in the house, and reload on coals. Forget a 12hr work day. You’d probably keep the chill off, and can light some smaller stuff off the embers, the reload, but don’t expect consistent 10 hr hot burns, although it happens. I just haven’t figured out the secret sauce for that yet. Maybe if you fill it to the top of the bricks with larger splits?

Reactions: ctreitzell
Well, I don't mind shorter burn times than advertised. I expect it. Lol. Honestly, I burn a lot of Aspen. It's probably what I have most of. I know if I had better wood I would be able to do a lot better, but it's what grows fastest. I don't like cutting just to cut for heat. I try to manage the woods I have access to. It's always a treat when my boss says he has ash or maple hanging over the field and wants it down. This year I do have a big maple that has to come down. Probably will be enough by itself. Trunk is 40 ish inches across.

If laampa built a wood stove, it would be tough for me not to buy it. I know they have the sauna stoves, and it was a fun idea to put one in the living room, but I don't think that is a good option. Would be pretty cool to have their blue flame with the glass door.

Some manufacturers do provide draft information, most do not provide this information without a phone call to the manufacturer.

You usually have to look at a new stoves manual online.

But having a wood stove would make it more enjoyable to sit and watch too. And I could leave the furnace on low a lot more if I had a stove upstairs too.
You may want to scratch BK off your list if watching the fire is one of the deciding factors. They burn low and slow alright. But the cost is a smoldering fire or black box and an almost always dirty front glass.