New woodstove mortar question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoparMan

Mar 15, 2022
PA
hello the home owner and am having a heat&glo northstar woodburner installed. The fireplace people put a template around the stove but the Mason (very well respected locally) would rather have the actually cover in place. the firelace shop wants it they and they have the cover plate. Is the steel template really necessary?

the mason expressed concern about mortar sticking to the painted cement board seems to me the colored board is just for liability reasons because it points out the clearances required. will there be an issue with the mortar? i would think they would have complaints all the time if there was.

thanks

IMG_1973.jpg

Last edited:
He’s got a point. I haven’t seen one like that. Is it a sticker or painted?

Same company puts giant red warning labels on their pipe too. Unless it’s in a chase it looks terrible.
Having that template is normal. It’s slightly larger than the factory piece. The finish piece will look really bad if it’s on there during the stone work. As far as adhering to the paint, I don’t know. I assume he will put a scratch coat on, see how well it bonds. Could do a test spot.

Same company puts giant red warning labels on their pipe too. Unless it’s in a chase it looks terrible.
Having that template is normal. It’s slightly larger than the factory piece. The finish piece will look really bad if it’s on there during the stone work. As far as adhering to the paint, I don’t know. I assume he will put a scratch coat on, see how well it bonds. Could do a test spot.
yes there are stickers all over the pipe but it is in the chase........