New York Restricts Firewood Transportation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LEES WOOD-CO said:
JFK said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
Driz said:
Big worry about nothing for the average scrounger. Who the hell is going to know if you don't admit it. Thats about the bottom line. DEC can be a major PITA for anyone ( especially you poor slobs in that chitty blue line) but they don't account for squat on the road. When was the last time you ever saw DEC out and about? Pure eye candy and really for businesses where they have to have a shipping manifest. I wonder how many of them will be carrying double books soon? Lie, lie and deny! or put in more recent terms, "Dont ask dont tell" just take it a step further and don't tell even if they ask. I would love to see them find some remote way to prove where it came from. I seriously doubt anyone is going to stake out your wood lot and follow you all the way home. Pure tripe!

Driz
I agree about with you about the DEC NAZIS . I have had more than my fair share of run ins with them. Here in western NY they have become a real presence in the last 2 years and you can hardly go a day without seeing them on the road. I believe NYS is hiring on more officers just to generate revenue. Total BS.

Just over the border in PA there is a ban on transport of firewood across townsip/county lines period. Get caught and big fines. I'm afraid it's coming to NY ,probably next year.

It's in our best interest to transport wood as little as possible .

???? What is the "blue line" anyway?

DEC Nazis.........Hmmmmmm.....I hope you are joking because I am a Police Officer with the DEC and as I understand the frustration here some people need to see the big picture. Yes it is a big "P-I-T-A" the 50 mile rule but as a fellow wood burner what the DEC is preventing is another outbreak like in other states. Yes it will be hard to enforce and I know warnings will be given out for a while so people should not get too angry here, education will be first priority. Be careful about thinking that we do not have ways of enforcing this regulation, I can assure you we do. Also be careful about saying that the DEC are hiring more officers simply for revenue. DEC Rangers and Conservation officers are here to make sure that rules and regulations are followed to protect the natural resources in New York. Yes , like any other Police agency there are some hard asses but most of us are good law enforcement officers and care about fish, wildlife, and the outdoors more than most. The DEC is made up of over 4,000 people from foresters, wildlife biologists, to Rangers and ECO's, so it is unfair to lump us all up into one word "NAZI". I have also saved over 50 people in my years on the job that were either lost and/or injured in some extreme weather conditions in the woods, so again do not attack everybody that is DEC.

Again I was frustrated when I got the email from my Lt. about the 50 mile rule, but after I thought about it, this is a step in the right direction. Look at all the people that would be out of business, jobs if there was a major outbreak that took millions of acres of trees. I for one can take a little hardship right now to ensure that I have enough wood out there to continue my favorite "obsession", wood burning and splitting/cutting trees. :)

Now this is a website that I love so please do not pelt me with nasty posts, I am not the boss here. I am sure our DEC Foresters can answer any question you might have in your Region in New York so go on the NYSDEC website and find your local forester :)

The Blue Line is in the Adirondack and Catskill Preserve, these areas total over 6.5 million acres of both public and private land. The DEC owns only about 2.5 million total acres

I don't have a problem with the 50 mile rule (or any regulation the DEC has for that matter) as it is in my best interest to keep hauling distances to a minimum due to HIGH fuel costs .

In order for you to understand why I used the term "Nazis" you would have to "walk a mile"and I'm not getting into it here. I have a friend at DEC and a friend that works for PA Game Commission. They both tell me how they don't agree with the way other officers handle stops,investigations and cases if and when they get handled at all. Sorry to lump you in as I know there are a few good ones but you know the old saying "one bad apple ............"

Understood....
Sadly the bad ones seem to get the publicity for their bad ticket writing and lack of effort when it comes to handling some cases..... I feel your pain......

I take great pride that I give 100% to all of my cases, sometimes the "bad guys" get away but I don't write bad tickets when a verbal warning is good enough.
If I can ever help you out with anything in Western new York, just PM me

About 30 years ago one of my relatives signed a contract to fill a tractor trailer full of cut/split firewood that would be transported into NYC. The fact that he underestimated just how long that would take almost killed him. Since the contract had an end date with penalties the whole family ended up working night and day to fill the tractor trailer on time. One of his young sons ended up doing permanent damage to one finger that got squashed in the log splitter after working long hours. Toward the completion date he got visited by two guys that let him know he should not be doing this, and don't do it again or something bad may happen. Like many things in NYC at that time, not so nice people controlled various markets. They filled the tractor trailer and got paid. Although my relative was 6' 5" and experienced in numerous bar fights, his older sons could shoot the eye out of a deer at 50 yards, and the whole town would be there to help in time of need, there was a family to consider. They decided for various personal health reasons not to market wood in the NYC area again. True story. Hopefully times have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.