Newbie B-Vent vs Direct Vent questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garimh

Jun 10, 2017
NJ
Inspection shows my tiled liner has cracks and gaps in the mortar. I had been contemplating converting to gas and I'm wondering if doing so saves me any money compared to re-lining with a stainless liner and keeping it wood burning.

To keep it wood burning, the quote I received for $5k includes breaking out the old tiles and installing a 10" stainless steel liner (about 25 feet). Looking at gas options, I think I've ruled out ventless based on what I've read about condensation and affected air quality in the living room (my son has allergies). So as I understand it, that leaves me with B-vent or direct vent. Have been googling but am still unclear on a few things:

- Direct vent sounds more energy efficient. As my fireplace is not against an external wall (it's in middle of house), can I install a direct vent liner that goes up and out my existing chimney? If so, would I still need to break out the old liner or could I use a smaller, less expensive aluminum liner?

- If I can't direct vent out of the chimney and have to use a b-vent, do I still need a 10" liner (requiring breaking out the old tiles) or can I use a smaller, less expensive liner for gas?

Thanks

A Direct Vent fire place insert will use a double 3-inch (co-linear - intake & exhaust) liner & the condition of your flue tiles really doesn't come into play. If the top tile is not structurally sound the adapter plate can be mounted directly to the chimney crown (mud cap).
B-Vent will use a SINGLE 4" liner for exhaust. It uses combustion air from INSIDE the home.
The adapter plate can be mounted the same as the DV unit.