Newbie Chimney Brush Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SusanB

Nov 25, 2016
SW Ontario
We put our wood stove in last year - before we burn this year I want to sweep it. I figure it shouldn't be a big deal - bungalow with the stove on the main level, straight down s/s Excel ICC chimney. My question is - these are the brushes sold at my local hardware store http://www.imperialgroup.ca/fireplace_chimneybrushesaccessories.cfm
the wire one says it good for s/s and clay chimney - the poly one says just for s/s. I was under the impression that wire brushes in a s/s pipe were a no no, and I'm leaning towards the poly brush in a better safe than sorry aspect. Thoughts?
Also - I have a deluxe rain cap on top - is it correct that there are a few finger nuts that take the top off for easy access instead of taking the whole cap off?
Thanks for the help!

We put our wood stove in last year - before we burn this year I want to sweep it. I figure it shouldn't be a big deal - bungalow with the stove on the main level, straight down s/s Excel ICC chimney. My question is - these are the brushes sold at my local hardware store http://www.imperialgroup.ca/fireplace_chimneybrushesaccessories.cfm
the wire one says it good for s/s and clay chimney - the poly one says just for s/s. I was under the impression that wire brushes in a s/s pipe were a no no, and I'm leaning towards the poly brush in a better safe than sorry aspect. Thoughts?
Also - I have a deluxe rain cap on top - is it correct that there are a few finger nuts that take the top off for easy access instead of taking the whole cap off?
Thanks for the help!
I would go with the poly brush between the two. A bunch of people on here, me included, have had good luck with a set up called the soot eater--readily available on line. I clean my chimney from the bottom and don't have to get onto the roof for anything. You just have to make sure you don't push too hard and pop the cap off. Not trying to sell you anything, but the soot eater does a great job and I haven't used my poly brush and rods in years.

I have a poly brush and its pretty stiff and stout, It cleans my class A pipe out great, at first it may seem like the brush is slightly to big for the pipe, shove it in there, it wont get stuck on a straight up and down flue, the bristles will eventually trim themselves to your chimney width.

Purchase the soot eater. It's good for 18 feet. And about 60 bucks. Love it. Takes about 15 minutes and it's done. Not dirty at all.

Reactions: lsucet and Prof
I second the soot eater, works great and gentle on flue

I use a poly brush (and a flexible rod set) to do my straight shot of ICC excel bottom up.