Newbie help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fisherman85

Oct 11, 2018
Indiana
I recently installed an Osburn Stratford and am looking for some input on burn temp, and for how to keep the glass clean. Since it does not have a temp gauge (like a wood stove flue pipe) I am a little unsure how hot it should be. I have used a laser thermometer to check the temp of the secondary burn tubes, which has been 700+ a few times. This seems pretty hot, but I’m sure the temp that a class A pipe can handle is quite a bit more than a black pipe for a wood stove. As for keeping the glass clean, even with burning well seasoned ash it gets dirty within a few hours of use. Should I burn it even hotter? I will also try keeping the wood farther away from the glass next time.

Keeping the wood a couple of inches away from the glass should help. Are you seeing good secondary combustion pick up as the air is turned down?

It's hard to get a measurement on ZC fireplace. Reading through the glass to the secondary tubes is likely to be inaccurate. Your best bet with the IR thermometer will be on the narrow area of face metal just above the door. See what it says there. I think 500ºF would be ok at that location.

Can you open up the door when it's burning and shoot the inside of the box somewhere? I don't know if it's a good idea to do that, though..

I have a SBI Century stove, they also make Osburn , same metal, same factory. Spoke to SBI about stove top temps and they said temporary, not continuous, 700-750 temps are not a problem and nothing to be concerned about. Call SBI about best way to measure temps on your stove. They are very helpful.

The glass can get dirty sooner sometimes. Sometimes it doesnt for several days. I think sometimes its the wood, size of wood, dryness, closing the door too soon, outdoor temps and/or turning down the secondary air too soon... and the wood smolders a little.